Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Becquerel Phosphoroscope (incomplete)

From the Collection of The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum Level 2, The School of Physics, David Caro Building (192) Corner of Elgin and Swanston Streets The University of Melbourne Parkville VIC

Description
The phosphoroscope consists of a round metal chamber with a pair of rotating discs inside, arranged so that no light can pass directly through the chamber. The discs have cut-out windows spaced equally at regular angular distances and are turned by the hand crank linked to a gear mechanism. The sample is placed in a specially designed holder into the small opening near the gearing, and it is exposed to the light source through the large rear condensing lens.
Size
27cm x 20cm x 23cm
Object Registration
464
Keywords
becquerel phosphoroscope, phosphoroscope, optical instruments, phosphorescent, alexander edmund becquerel, jules duboscq, france
Historical information
The phosphoroscope was invented by Alexander Edmund Becquerel and used to measure the amount of time that a phosphorescent substance will glow after being irradiated by a brilliant source of light.
When Made
c1860-1880
Made By
Louis Jules Duboscq (Optical Instruments)
Inscriptions & Markings
Engraved on chamber: 'Phosphoroscope de E. Becquerel / J. Duboscq a Paris
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:10AM