The original small, pioneer cottage was built in the late 1840s to early1850s, by an unknown pioneer. It was located on part of a 30 Acre allotment that was originally part of Dendy’s Special Survey granted in 1841. The doors and window sashes, (made of red deal joinery timber), as well as the brass locks and fittings, are from the original cottage, and were imported from England. The fire-place bricks are from the original cottage, and are sun-dried, (not kiln fired), and are hand-made. Convict marks can be seen on two bricks. There is a small display of external cladding shingles from the original pioneer cottage. These shingles were hand-split, and most likely made from locally collected timber The nails included in this display were used to fasten the shingles on the original cottage, and are also hand-made. The cottage was occupied by William Box and family from 1865 until 1914 when it was sold to William Reitman who resided there until 1950. The enamel nameplate, “Colonial”, on the wall of the cottage, was the name chosen for the original pioneer cottage by Mr William Reitman, when he purchased the property in around 1915, for 1200 Pounds approximately. In 1974 Mr Lewis, a timber specialist, found the dilapidated building on property he had recently purchased in Jasper Rd and suggested it be reconstructed and relocated. Moorabbin Council agreed and the cottage was rebuilt just about 250 metres from its original site. The cost of the rebuild was met by 'Victoria's 150th Committee, plus a small grant from the City of Moorabbin, and Mr Laurie Lewis donated much of the timber for the reconstruction. The re-constructed cottage plan has followed faithfully the original dimensions, and plan of the original pioneer cottage, and as many original items from that cottage’s long occupation have been incorporated. The photographs in Album 1 record the progress of the reconstruction from February 1984 to the First Public Open Day November 18th 1984
The Moorabbin Standard was the local newspaper for the City of Moorabbin during the 20thCentury until it was absorbed into The Leader Newspaper Group Pty Ltd. This article shows the builder Mr Arthur Smith working on the roof shingles during the reconstruction of Box Cottage in Joyce Park Ormond May 1984. Mrs H. Deam and Mr A. Smith, CMHS members,kept this article to record the progress of the ‘Reconstruction’ from February 1984 to November 1984.
A Moorabbin Standard Newspaper article, May 9th 1984, with 2 x black and white photographs of the builder, Mr Arthur Smith, working on the Roof shingles during the reconstruction of Box Cottage in Joyce Park , Ormond.
Inscriptions & markings
Written on article ; Moorabbin Standard, May 9th Wed. 1984
- brighton, moorabbin, highett, ormond, mckinnon, cottages, pioneers, colonial, dendy henry, box william, box elizabeth, reitman william, convicts lewis timber co. ltd., deam h, smith arthur, museums, box alonzo, moody & smith builders highett, the moorabbin standard newspaper, the leader newspaper pty ltd.,