Historical information

This book came into our collection via a donation to the Book Barn, which operates as a second-hand book shop. The donor is unknown.


This book was published in 1887, a time of consolidation of wealth after the initial gold rushes in Ballarat in the 1850s. Its full title is 'History of Ballarat from the First Pastoral Settlement to the Present Time.' By William Bramwell Withers, Journalist. Second Edition with Plans, Ilustrations and Original Documents. It is an invaluable history of the origins of Ballarat and its mining history, with a chapter devoted to the Eureka Stockade.

Physical description

Book bound in green cloth on hard cover.

Inscriptions & markings

On cover: Title incised in black on gold: HISTORY/OF/BALLARAT In gold: REVISED EDITION In black:By/W.B.Withers/PUBLISHED/BY/F.W.NIVEN &Co/Ballarat. Front cover embossed with gold pictures, one of a spray of wattle, one of a spray of eucalyptus leaves, a picture of a miner standing at a winch, and two panoramas of Ballarat, one in its early days as a gold-mining camp, and one as a built-up city.
On spine: In green on gold: HISTORY/OF/BALLARAT : BY W.B.WITHERS 1887 Picture of two miners in a lift cage descending a mine shaft.
On back cover: In black, picture of an aborigine looking into the sun, which is either rising or setting.
On inside front cover: label pasted in. Inscription in gold: PRESENTED TO/THE/MEMBERS/OF THE/Empire Commerce Congress/BY/BALLARAT'S PIONEER DIGGER,/MR.JAMES ODDIE,1851.
Front brown flyleaf partially torn off.