This original station on the Colac-Beech Forest line was first known as "Moorbanool" after the local parish, and then shortened to "Banool" on 1 November 1904. At first facilities consisted of a passenger shelter, a loop siding for 11 trucks, plus a residence for the ganger of the track gang based there. By 1912 with the extension of the line to Crowes increased train services on the line required a crossing station in this section of the track, and therefore Banool became a staff and ticket station with a crossing loop and home signals. However, this only lasted for two years and was abolished as an economy measure in 1916. Loading figures show that in most years the outwards tonnage at Banool was less than 150 tonnes. The station was reduced to a passenger shelter and goods loop only by 1929, and by the time of closure in 1962 most trains were steaming through.
Colour. Locomotive G42 and its NQR goods wagons, loaded and unloaded, steaming past Banool station passenger shelter. 143mm x 274mm print.