Historical information

The Q class were introduced as bogie flatwagons in the 1870's. Large Q wagons as shown were built to the 1920's In the early 1900's, some Q wagons were modified for Pintsch Gas traffic with a small pump motor cabin at one end and a tank for carrying the gas. Other conversions for traffic were as required. Examples were: sheet glass, skeletal underframes between workshops In 1926 the railways built two narrow gauge Garratt locomotives. As normal wagons were unsuitable for moving these locomotives a special skeletal wagon was built. The engines were split into units for transportation. It featured axle bearings and boxes from steam engines, had hinged buffers that could drop out of the way during loading/unloading. It also featured 'strap' rail along the deck. The wagon was Q 129. This wagon was also available for general narrow gauge rolling stock. Q wagons were numbered from 1 to 136. Service History: *Q 129.VA - 1/ 6/1926 NWS Built new H/brake & drop buffers. For traffic of Narrow Guage stock 31/ 1/1931 NWS Into Workshops - 16/ 6/1931 NWS Out of Workshops (50 days) 6/11/1931 NWS Into Workshops - 27/11/1931 NWS Out of Workshops (22 days) 24/ 8/1936 NWS Into Workshops - 10/ 9/1936 NWS Out of Workshops (18 days) 27/11/1936 NWS Into Workshops - 26/ 2/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (Light repairs) circa 1960 - Photograph SL20 p32, loaded with 7NA / /1975 - Photograph #393 / /1976 - Photograph #553, #554 19/ 3/1979 - Condemned - 10/ 4/1979 - Off Register - 10/ 4/1979 - Sold (to) ETR, Belgrave / /1989 EME Body [GRE]. [SXC]: 29/3/92, MEL127E5, Puffing Billy at station

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Transporter wagon used to carry and transfer 2' 6" Narrow gauge rolling stock over Victorian broad gauge (1,600 mm (5 ft 3 in) main lines to the narrow gauge lines. Q 129 was unique, it was built to transport narrow gauge locomotives.

Physical description

Transporter Wagon made of Steel and wrought Iron

Inscriptions & markings

129Q