Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Puffing Billy Railway Menzies Creek, Victoria

The Puffing Billy Railway Collection focuses on narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region collected by the PBPS and ETRB

Links

Contact Information

location
1 Old Monbulk Road Belgrave Victoria 3160 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9757 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

View on Google Maps

Narrow gauge railway history and associated industry equipment / artifacts primarily from Victoria but extending to the greater Australasia region.

344 items

Steam Locomotive - Orenstein & Koppel 0-6-0 Well Tank 2'6" Gauge

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive - Steel (Painted)

Historical information

Sub Nigel Gold Mines No. 3 Wheels: 0-6-0 WT Builder: Orenstein & Koppel Build Date: June 1931 Construction No.: 12331 Empty Weight: 10 tons 7 cwt Weight in working order: 12 I/2 tons Driver Diameter: Unknown Tractive Effort: Unknown Boiler Pressure: 185 lbs Cylinders: Unknown Fuel: Coal Gauge: 2 ft 6 in (760mm) Builders Number 12331 Used to haul gold bearing ore from mine to reduction works at the Sub Nigel Mine at Dunnattar, Transvaal, South Africa. It was the first locomotive fitted by roller bearings by SKF and featured in the SKF catalogue at the time. This interesting 0-6-0WT locomotive was built by Orenstein & Koppel in 1931 as their builder's number 12331, becoming No.3 in the locomotive fleet at the Sub Nigel Gold Mines Ltd, South Africa. No.3 was obtained by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society and imported to Australia in the early 1970s. It arrived at the museum on 30th Jan 1973. It has since been displayed at the Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek. Details from http://www.australiansteam.com/ok12331.htm Donated by Gold Fields Property Co. Ltd South Africa in 1973.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge railway - Steam Locomotive with SKF Roller bearings - used at the Sub Nigel Mine at Dunnattar, Transvaal, South Africa.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Sub Nigel Ltd / 12331

2 NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity)

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Brake Van (4 ton capacity) made of Timber and wrought iron

Historical information

NC Van The NC guard's vans were originally classed NDD. In the 1910 reclassification they were classified NC. Apart from the windows and height they were externally the same as the NBC vans. Inside there were benches along both side walls. One end was equipped with a small guard's compartment. This had two corner seats, two desks with ticket selling windows and a letter rack. A novel feature was a folding dog cage under one of the benches. Six NC Brake Van / Guards Vans were built by Victorian Railways 1 NC was built in 1909 as NDD and reclassed 1NC in 1910. 2 NC was built and placed into service Nov 1912 3 NC , 4 NC and 5 NC were built and placed into service June / July 1914 6 NC was Built and placed into service in 1919 1 NC, 4 NC and 6 NC were all scrapped by Victorian Railways between 1954 and 1957 2NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity) VR Service History 26/11/1912 NWS Built new 2 NC *NC 2.VA - 26/11/1912 NWS Built new - circa 1926 - Modified AC Malco BO 6/ 7/1932 NWS Into Workshops - 5/ 8/1932 NWS Out of Workshops (31 days) 2/10/1937 NWS Into Workshops - 3/12/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (63 days) 25/ 1/1945 NWS Into Workshops - 23/ 2/1945 NWS Out of Workshops (30 days) Dec 2016 - Puffing Billy Rollling Stock register Puffing Billy Service History or Notes 21 Oct 1995 - Loco 7A and 2 NC collides with trolleys NK 3, Jenny, & NG 1 on the SELBY side of the MONBULK CREEK trestle bridge.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NC Brake Van

Inscriptions & Markings

2NC

Lamp - Brandt Brothers

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Brandt Brothers Lamp made of metal and glass

Historical information

Brandt Brothers Lamp

Significance

Historic - Railways - Brandt Brothers Lamp

Inscriptions & Markings

Brandt Brothers

Fitters Leather Tool Bag - Medium

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Leather Tool Bag - (Medium size)made of leather with copper rivets

Historical information

fitters Leather Tool Bag - Medium

Significance

fitters Leather Tool Bag

Hand Operated Rail Drill

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Hand Operated Rail Drill made of cast Metal

Historical information

This hand operated drill was used to drill holes in the rails so that with fishplates (metal joiners) the rails could be bolted together to form a continuous length.

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Hand Operated Rail Drill

Steam Powered Water Pump

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Powered Water Pump Blue with steel rods and brass valves.

Historical information

Steam Powered Water Pump in active use on George & George Boiler

Significance

Historic - Industrial Steam Powered Water Pump in active use on George & George Boiler

6A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

6A Number Plate. Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 6A.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery Green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

Ballarat Station Parcels Office Clock

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Station Clock - Ballarat Station Parcels Office Clock Antique timber cased railway clock. Circular face with Roman numerals. By Foster of London, with numbered brass plaque '631'. Single barrel fusee movement.

Historical information

This historic railway clock , originally installed in the Parcels Office at Ballarat Station Station Clock - Ballarat Station A Victorian Railways Station clock that was located in the Parcels Office at Ballarat. In the 19th Century, time was not seen as an urgent requirement to be somewhere or do something. There was sun up and sun down. A number of towns in Victoria operated on different times to other towns in the state. With the coming of the railways in Victoria from 1854, time became more important not only from the public side, but from a railway operational safety side. Clocks started appearing at railway stations, sometimes showing a different (standard) time to that of the local town. Eventually all of Victoria was bought into the same time zone, which matched the railway standard.

Significance

Historic - Station Clock - Ballarat Station - which was used in the Parcels Office at the Victorian Railways Ballarat railway station

Inscriptions & Markings

Foster London 631

92 NQR - Open Medium Truck

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

92NQR - Open Medium Truck with drop ends made of Steel and metal

Historical information

The NQRs were the standard Medium open goods wagon. Generally the sides and ends were removable thus providing a totally flat truck. Three long drop-down doors formed the sides thus allowing easy loading and unloading. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 ? numbered 1 - 218​. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R​ as they were built with sides and ends. They later had the R removed. Unlike the Broad Gauge, VR's 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge network never had four-wheeled wagons (aside from a handful of trolleys). Because of this, a single design of open wagon emerged and this was the only type of wagon ever used on these lines. This was the NQR class, a wagon with the same length and loading capacity as a Broad Gauge four-wheeled open wagon to make transferring freight between the gauges easier. The wagons, numbered 1 through 218, were built between 1898 and 1914. The wagons used the same underframe as most other non-locomotives on the VR Narrow Gauge. Letters and numbers were originally painted only on the end bulkheads and doors, both of which could be removed as traffic dictated, and this made wagon identification difficult until the decals were transferred to the underframes of each wagon In the 1910s some NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223​, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames In the 1960s the Puffing Billy Railway added grids in the floor of some to enable them to be used to drop ballast on the track where needed. Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 5 tons Capacity 11 tons Built 1898 - 1915 (1992) Number Built 218 (223) In use 14 To be restored 6 92NQR - Goods Vehicle - Open Medium Truck NQ/NQR OPEN MEDIUM TRUCKS. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 numbered 1-218. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R as they were built with sides and ends. Some later had the R removed if they regularly ran as flat wagons without theh sides and ends. Over the years, a number of NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods. Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames. 92 NQR VR Service History : *NQR 92.VA - 2/ 3/1907 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NQ 92.VA -

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NQR Open Medium Truck with drop ends Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 The Puffing Billy Rolling Stock Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

92NQR

Sign - Advertising - Griffiths Tea Sign - 30 Miles

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Sign - Advertising - Griffiths Tea Sign - 30 Miles Griffiths Tea sign made of Enamel paint on metal sign

Historical information

In 1879, James Griffiths established one of Australia’s first tea and coffee distribution companies at 30 Flinders St, Melbourne, which is now, occupied by the boutique Lindrum Hotel. Established with his brother John, recent immigrants from England, Griffiths occupied the highest position in the commercial world during their many years as distributors of tea, coffee, cocoa and other products throughout Victoria and Australia. The Griffiths brand was a guarantee for quality of product and service as it still is today. This extensive service was provided to customers via horse drawn carts serviced by rail from Melbourne. As a spirited entrepreneur, Griffiths made his company a household name through his pioneering use of outdoor advertising by installing the infamous blue and white enamel “Griffiths Tea” promotional signs affixed to the railway boundary fences highlighting to travellers the distance to or from Melbourne, indicating so many “— miles to Griffiths Tea”. These signs, much sought after today, were well known through out the eastern states. Photographs have been published of a sign erected by a Digger in France during the First World War with the words “1100 miles to Griffiths Bros”. Tragically, James and his wife Emily with friends died in a level rail crossing accident at Bayswater in 1925. Despite this unfortunate accident, Griffiths and its culture of innovation has survived as one of the few 100% Australian owned coffee roasters, with only three owners in 128 years. http://www.griffithscoffee.com.au/about-us/back-to-1879/ Sign - Advertising - Griffiths Tea Sign - 30 Miles

Significance

Historic - Sign - Advertising - Griffiths Tea Sign - used along side of Victorian Railway lines and at Stations

Inscriptions & Markings

30 Miles to Griffiths Tea Sign

Victorian Railways Station Fruit & Rubbish Bin

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Tin lined wooden box with sign writing on two sides.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Station Rubbish Bin - used at the time of Mr Clapp, Chairman of the Victorian Railways Commissioners "Eat More Fruit" campaign

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Station Rubbish Bin - used at the time of Mr Clapp, Chairman of the Victorian Railways Commissioners "Eat More Fruit" campaign

Inscriptions & Markings

Fruit skins and rubbish must be deposited here (hand sign written on two sides ).

13 NUU - Louvred Truck

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wooden Louvered Van - Made of Timber on a Wrought iron frame - current condition Untrafficable

Historical information

Van 13 NUU - Louvred Truck (11) Untrafficable - Menzies Creek Station Yard VR Service History 15/ 7/1911 NWS Built new Vehicle Length 25 feet 2 inches ( 7671 mm) Coupled Length 27 feet 4 inches (8330 mm) Width 6 feet 3 inches (1905 mm) Weight 7 tons Capacity 10 tons Built 1898 - 1911 Number Built 14 In use 5 To be restored None *NUU 13.VA - 15/ 7/1911 NWS Built new - / /1926 - To NU 13.VA - NU 13.VA - / 6/1926 - Modified AC Malco /10/1954 CKT Sold (to) by Stores Branch to P.B.P.S. Purchased by Puffing Billy Preservation Society from Cockatoo for 20 pounds ($40.00). First complete railway truck owned by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society. Puffing Billy Service History or Notes

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Narrow Gauge - Rolling Stock - Louvered Van

Inscriptions & Markings

13 NU

Leather belt splicer

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Leather belt splicer - Leather splicer made of Timber base with a steel wedge and leather lead in

Historical information

Leather Splitter Used for splicing leather drive belts

Significance

Historic - Leather working Equipment - Leather Splitter

White Flag

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

White Flag timber handle (raw) white flag (white vinyl) Brass plaque (with inscription)

Historical information

White Flag used to unvale the new Belgrave station named in honner of Lon Wymond

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway - White Flag opening Ceremony of Belgrave Station

Inscriptions & Markings

This flag was used to dispatch the first Puffing Billy train to depart from the new Belgrave Station Building on the occasion of it opening by the Hon. Steven Crabb M.P. 29 July 1990.

7A - Victorian Railways NA class steam locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders

Historical information

7A Built in 1905 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Wangaratta to Whitfield line and saw service on all four lines with most of its service on the Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook line. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it has seen almost continuous service since. 1979 saw the early two-tone green colour scheme applied to this loco as a trial even though it never historically carried it, but its physical configuration was not altered accordingly. It is now painted its original livery of Canadian red & dark brown and will eventually be returned, as far a possible, to its original condition with a low bunker, narrow ash-chute, etc. Loco: 7A In service Saturday, 6th May 1905 Livery Canadian red & dark brown Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 / 2' 6" Status Preserved - Operational Service History : May 1905 Wangaratta - initial allocation of a new locomotive May 1905 - Apr 1906 Wangaratta Jul 1906 - Nov 1910 Colac Feb 1911 - Jul 1912 Moe Sep 1912 - Dec 1917 Colac Mar 1918 - Sep 1921 UFTG. Nov 1921 - Sep 1923 Colac Dec 1923 - May 1925 UFTG. Jun 1925 - Aug 1925 Workshops Sep 1925 - Aug 1927 UFTG. Aug 1927 - Feb 1928 Workshops Mar 1928 - May 1928 UFTG. Jul 1928 - Moe Sep 1928 - Mar 1930 UFTG. Apr 1930 - Sep 1930 Workshops Oct 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG. Nov 1936 - Moe Dec 1936 - Aug 1945 UFTG. Dec 1946 - May 1953 Colac Sep 1953 - Oct 1954 Moe Dec 1954 - Jun 1955 Workshops Nov 1955 - Dec 1957 UFTG. - Stored Feb 1958 - Apr 1962 Workshops May 1962 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 7A Dates that 7A worked on the Gembrook Line Mar-1918 to Nov-1921 Dec-1923 to Jun-1925 Sep-1925 to Aug-1927 May-1928 to Apr-1930 Oct-1930 to Nov-1936 Dec-1936 to Dec-1946 Nov-1955 to Feb-1958 May-1962 - Returned to Gembrook line Oct - 1977 - Transferred to ETRB ownership

Inscriptions & Markings

7A

Carriage Sign - Early Puffing Billy Volunteer Advertising

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Carriage Sign - Early Puffing Billy Preservation Society Volunteer Advertising Grey timber sign with black painted text.

Historical information

Carriage Sign - Early Puffing Billy Volunteer Advertising These signs were fitted to NBH style carriages.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Carriage Sign - Early Puffing Billy Volunteer Advertising

Inscriptions & Markings

Looking for a Hobby if you like - steam trains - meeting people - handy man jobs - working outdoors Become a Puffing Billy Volunteer Enquire at Puffing Billy's Belgrave Station on your return

Peckett - 1711 Peckett Steam Locomotive

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Steam Locomotive made of steel, wrought iron

Historical information

Steam Locomotive - 1711 Peckett “Sir John Grice” Date built - 1926 Locomotive type ; Cranmore Original owner - Metropolitan Gas Coy., West Melbourne Original gauge - 762mm Withdrawn - 1941 Next owner - Whistle Stop Amusement Park, Frankston Built in 1926 for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, and issued to traffic the same year this saddle tank locomotive was named “Sir John Grice” in 1928. It was withdrawn from traffic in 1941 and stored until sold privately in 1962. In 1965 it was sold again and went to the Whistle Stop Amusement Park in Frankston and again stored until bought at auction by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society in 1974 and put on static display in the Steam Museum. Restoration started in 1978 and it was returned to service in 1981 painted light green with yellow lining. It is temporarily renamed “Thomas the Tank Engine” with a fibreglass “Thomas” body cover each time it appears in the “Thomas the Tank Engine” shows at Gembrook station.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway - Steam Locomotive used at the Metropolitan Gas Coy., West Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Peckett

Locomotive Head Board - 50th Anniversary Last Train to Beech Forest

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Wooden - Locomotive Head Board - 50th Anniversary Last Train to Beech Forest

Historical information

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of the Last Train to Beech Forest 50th Anniversary Last Train to Beech Forest 30 - 6 1962 G42 ran from Belgrave to Gembrook to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the closure of the Beech Forest Railway. Puffing Billy Railway, Victoria, 30th June, 2012. The Beech Forest line was opened in 1902 and later extended to Crowes. The line was closed in sections with the last section being between Colac and Beech Forest. The last train was hauled by locomotive G 42, which also hauled the re-enactment train in 2012.

Significance

Historic - Puffing Billy Railway Locomotive Head Board used in the Celebration of the Last Train to Beech Forest 50th Anniversary Last Train to Beech Forest 30 - 6 1962 G 42 ran from Belgrave to Gembrook to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the closure of the Beech Forest Railway. Puffing Billy Railway, Victoria, 30th June, 2012.

Inscriptions & Markings

Puffing Billy Railway 30- 6 - 2012 50th Anniversary Last Train to Beech Forest

Traction Engine - Foden Compound

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Foden Compound Traction Engine - made of Steel (Painted)

Historical information

Ordered by Langwill Bros., & Davies Ltd Melbourne Used for saw milling, dam constructions and log hauling

Significance

Historic - Industrial Steam Traction Engine

Inscriptions & Markings

Foden

Red Trolly - BN Class Trolly

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Red Trolley - BN Class Trolly - Flat top dummy made of wood and wrought iron

Historical information

Red Trolley - BN Class Trolly Class: BN* * Trailers marked (*) are classified as Rail Mounted Tools or Tool Carriers for the purposes of Section 1 of Appendix 1 of the General Instructions. Number: 1, 2 & 3 Name: - Description: Flat top dummy Load Capacity. - Goods : 1 ton (1 tonne) - Persons. ---

Significance

Puffing Billy Railway - Narrow Gauge Track maintenance Vehicle - BN Class Trolly

Fire Fighting Extingusher Tank

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Metal Fire Fighting Extingusher Tank with rubber hose

Historical information

Fire Fighting Extingusher Tank Old style firefighting extinguisher, for use on very small fires

Significance

Historic - Railways Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Fire Fighting Extingusher Tank

Railway carriage - [blank]

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

A timber and iron saloon car - painted in crimson with a name plate 'Rinadeena' attached to the centre of the carriage and the words '2 NAL' painted in white directly below. The word 'FIRST' is painted in gold at both ends of the carriage. The car has nine windows on either side of the carriage and a wrought iron ballastrade upon entry at eiether end of the carriage as well as iron steps to ascend. Inside the carriage are 10 bench seats made of wood and leather and ten tables for dining. The windows are adorned with cream cloth fabric and above each bench are wrought iron luggae racks. The ceiling is covered in cloth and features two suspended ornate glass and metal light fixtures. A wooden door with two glass panels can be found at both ends of the carriage.

Historical information

2 NAL - Rinadeena - (Mt. Lyell) O 2; 2 NBL - 1st. class saloon car (20) NAL FIRST-CLASS SALOON CAR. Four saloon end-platform cars originally built during 1901–1902 by the Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd. for the 3'6" gauge Mt. Lyell Mining & Railway Company in Tasmania and classed O. Converted for use as second-class cars on the 2'6" gauge Puffing Billy Railway during 1965–1966, these cars were reclassified NBL and numbered 1–4. The L recognises their Mt. Lyell origin, No. 1 was kept for use as the Railway's VIP car and was reconditioned to a higher standard. No. 2 was similarly upgraded in 1985 for use on special occasions. In 1989 No. 3 was similarly reconditioned with No. 4 receiving similar treatment in 1995. These cars were re-classified NAL in recognition of their new first-class nature. The Mt Lyell Railway was closed in 1963 and subsequently dismantled, but fortunately several of the locomotives and carriages passed into preservation. Purchased by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society from the Mount Lyell Mining & Railway Company in the 1960's and converted to 2' 6" gauge. It has since given many years of service on the Puffing Billy Railway. TASMANIAN CARRIAGES & GUARDS VANS No. Builder Type Year built Ex. Location Note NAL 1 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Mt Lyell NAL 2 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Rinadeena NAL 3 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Teepookana NAL 4 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Dubbil Barril

Significance

The Rinadeena is a stunning example of a classic narrow gauge 1st Class Saloon Carriage, used as a luxury edition to train travel in the late 1800s and the 2NAL within Puffing Billy's collection was purchased by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society in the 1960s, where it underwent restoration to become part of the railway's historic transport collection.

Inscriptions & Markings

2 NAL - Rinadeena

Treadle Lathe

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Treadle Lathe made of Steel and wrought iron

Historical information

Industrial Treadle Lathe Possibly a Star Treadle Lathe

Significance

Historical - Industrial Treadle Lathe

Flat Belt Driven Drill Press

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Drill press. - made of Metal and Steel and cast iron

Historical information

Industrial - Flat Belt Driven Drill Press

Significance

Historic - Industrial - Flat Belt Driven Drill Press

Inscriptions & Markings

Hercus Made in Australia

6A Number Plate

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Number Plate 6A Fabricated steel number board made by the Victorian Railways for locomotive 6A.

Historical information

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A Loco: 6A In service Thursday, 18th July 1901 Livery Green Owner Puffing Billy Gauge 762 Status Preserved - Operational 6A Built in 1901 and painted two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Colac to Beech Forest line and was used in that line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on all four lines, but mostly on the Colac to Crowes and Upper Fern Tree Gully to Gembrook lines. It was temporarily withdrawn from service in 1958 and returned to service at Belgrave in 1962 for the reopening of this line where it saw almost continuous service until being withdrawn in 1983. It has been restored, as far as possible, to its original condition with original design side tanks, low bunker, original size windows, etc., but a steel cow-catcher in place of the original style wooden one. It also has its original colour scheme of two-tone green with white lining.

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways Locomotive Number Plate used on Steam Locomotive 6A

Inscriptions & Markings

6A

S. Marshall & Sons Reed Organ

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Old fashioned wooden Reed Organ with big rectangular foot pedals, twistable knobs running along above the keys and blinds that you can lift up.

Historical information

“The ‘Connoisseur’ Organ” made by Smith American Organ Co. (Boston, Mass.) sold and distributed in Australia by S. Marshall & Sons. Adelaide Details about the Maker - Smith American The Smith American Company was originally established by S.D. Smith and H.W. Smith as early as 1852. First known as the Smith American Organ Company, the firm was located in Boston and built high end parlor organs and melodeons. In the early 1880s the firm began building pianos and the name of the firm was changed to "The Smith American Organ & Piano Company". In 1889, the firm acquired The Regal Piano Company from the New England Piano Company, and the firm was known as "The Smith American Piano Company" by the 1890s. The Smith American Piano Company built and controlled the Regal Piano Company line until 1903. Many of the instruments by Smith American were also labeled as 'The Palace Of Music'. It appears that the Smith American firm went out of business in the first part of the 20th Century. Web ref : http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/smith-american/

Significance

Historic - Reed Organ

Inscriptions & Markings

S. Marshall & Sons. Adelaide

Ganger's - Trolly Turntable

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Ganger's Trolly Turntable made of wood with wrought iron fittings

Historical information

Ganger's Trolly Turntable When a railway gangers trolly was working between railway stations, occasionally it was required for the line to be clear for trains to operate. Many trollys were too heavy to physically lift off the track, so a turntable was needed. These were provided at designated locations, and in some cases the trolly had a turntable on board. The turntable would be placed on the rails and the trolley driven onto it. The turntable would then be rotated 90 degrees by human power and the trolley pushed off on to a prepared set of rails on the side of the line. The turntable would then be removed from the track allowing trains to run through that section. The gang could then get on with the work required near that location.

Significance

Historic - Railway Permanent Way and Works - track equipment - Ganger's Trolly Turntable

Steam Locomotive - 0-4-2 Saddle Tank Hudswell Clarke No.4

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

2' Gauge 0-4-2 Saddle Tank Steam Locomotive wrought iron frame

Historical information

Worked at Pleystowe Mill, Queensland 1925 to 1965

Significance

Historic Narrow Gauge Industrial Railway - Pleystowe Sugar Mill, Queensland, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

Builders Number 1559

Railway Mine and Plantation (RMP) 0-6-0 Diesel Mechanical Locomotive 2' Gauge - "LI'L TOOT"

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Rail Mine and Plantation (RMP) 0-6-0 Diesel Mechanical 2' Gauge - " LI'L TOOT " Builders Number 3354 Steel (Painted)

Historical information

Builders Number 3354 Build for Inkerman Mill Queensland in 1951 Displayed at the British Industrial Fair at Castle Bromwich, England 1951 prior to delivery to Australia Weight: 10 Tons Known at Inkerman mill as "LI'L TOOT" Major Ernest E. Baguley (1863–1948) was a British engineer.- In the years leading up to the First World War, Baguley served in the Territorial Army and became Second-in-Command, 6th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment, rising to the rank of Major. He served in France from 1914 to 1915. Baguley (Engineers) Ltd After the War there was a decline in the production of road vehicles (probably due to competition from other manufacturers) and an increase in the production of railway equipment. The name of the company was changed from Baguley Cars Ltd to Baguley (Engineers) Ltd on 10 April 1923. Following a dispute with their partners Drewry Cars. Ltd, Baguley (Engineers) Ltd went into decline and entered liquidation in 1931. Most of the plant and effects, including Major Baguley's own Baguley car, were sold at auction on 10 November 1931. E. E. Baguley Ltd Major Baguley was a great survivor of WW1 and, he set up a small repair business for Baguley products at Clarence Street, Burton-on-Trent. A new company, E. E. Baguley Ltd, was registered on 30 April 1932 and was soon building locomotives again. In 1934 E. E. Baguley Ltd moved to larger premises at Uxbridge Street, Burton-on-Trent. The company merged with Drewry to form Baguley-Drewry Ltd in 1962.

Significance

Historic - Industrial Narrow Gauge Railway Diesel Mechanical Locomotive - Pioneer Sugar Mills - Inkerman Sugar Mill, Home Hill, Queensland, Australia

Inscriptions & Markings

RMP / 3354 "LI'L TOOT"

Weir Pump ( no. 2 ) - Vertical ( no. 2 )

Puffing Billy Railway, Menzies Creek

Weir Vertical Pump ( no. 2 ) - Steel vertical pump

Historical information

Weir Vertical Pump Weir Pumps - these types of vertical pumps were used extensively with both land and marine steam pumps. The pumps were also used for various duties from pumping oil fuel and feed water for boilers, to draining bilges on steam ship[s single cylinder, double acting vertical pumps used by G. & J. Weir Ltd. , of Cathcart, Glasgow .

Inscriptions & Markings

Weir