Plate - Victorian Railways Saucer
From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria
- Ceramic Victorian Railways Saucer Plate - Red & White
- Diameter: 0' 6 1/8" ( 155 mm )
- puffing billy, victorian railways, crockery, plate
- Victorian Railways Saucer Plate - Red & White
Supplier to Victorian railways : Loftus Moran, Melbourne:
Mr Loftus Henry Moran was well known in the tea trade. Originally employed by Griffiths Bros Ltd, he started his own business, Loftus Moran Pty Ltd, in 1909
In 1913 he purchased the tea business of McIntyre Bros, and later, that of Steele Bros, and absorbed them in his own company.
He had a wide business connection among hotels and guest houses for supplying crockery and other supplies.
Ref: DEATH OF MR LOFTUS MORAN (1944, May 27). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11809686
1st Advertisement of the Plates in the papers:
Nothing is more objectionable than chipped crockery--besides its use is illegal.
DURALINE Plates, manufactured by The Grindley Hotel Ware Co., are tough as raw-hide. This is why they are used by practically every hotel and institution in Australia. Obtainable only from
LOFTUS MORAN PTY. LTD.,
Hotel Supply Specialists,
131 Queen's Bridge Street, Melbourne South
Advertising (29 March 1933, ). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. ), p. 7. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4726734
- May 1954 "5-54" = "month-year"
- W H Grindley & Co (Ltd) (Maker)
- Historic - Victorian Railways - Refreashment Services crockery - plate
- Victorian Railways ( in Red on fount of plate )
"DURALINE" ( in Black on back of plate )
Loftus Moran Pty Ld
- 29 May 2019 at 7:16PM