Stories Organisations Projects About Login

8A - Victorian Railways Na Class Steam Locomotive Number 8A

From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

Description
Steam Locomotive with wrought iron frame with cast iron cylinders
Size
Length overall : 30' 8" Width: 8' 3" Height overall : 10' 10" Weight: 34 tons 7 cwt. Gauge: 2' 6" ( 762 mm )
Object Registration
000031
Keywords
puffing billy, 8a, victorian railways, narrow gauge, steam locomotive
Historical information
8A
Built in 1908 and painted Canadian red & dark brown, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold to the Beaumaris City Council where it remained on static display until 1970. After storage at Newport & Ballarat North Workshops, it was brought to Belgrave in 1976 for restoration. It was returned to service in 1982 after a complete rebuild in close to its late 1920s condition with its extended bunker & modified front end including the tapered “stovepipe” smokestack, steel cow-catcher and the all-over Black livery.

Loco: 8A
In service Monday, 2nd March 1908
Livery Canadian red & dark brown
Owner Puffing Billy
Gauge 762mm / 2' 6"
Status Preserved - Operational

Service History :
May 1908 - UFTG. - initial allocation of a new locomotive
May 1908 - Mar 1910 UFTG.
Apr 1910 - Mar 1915 Colac
Jun 1915 -Sep 1926 UFTG.
Jan 1927 - Jan 1930 Moe
Mar 1930 - Oct 1936 UFTG.
Nov 1936 - Dec 1936 Moe
Jan 1937 - Oct 1954 UFTG.
Dec 1954 - Workshops
Jan 1955 - Jan 1968 Other
Jul 1970 - Apr 1977 Workshops
Jul 1982 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave
When Made
1908
Made By
Victorian Railways - Newport Workshop
Significance
Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 8A

Dates that 8A worked on the Gembrook Line
Mar-1908 to Apr-1910 - initial allocation of a new locomotive
Jun-1915 to Jan-1927
Mar-1930 to Nov-1936
Jan-1937 to Dec-1954
1970 - Puffing Billy Preservation Society ownership
Jul-1982 - Returned to service PBR
Inscriptions & Markings
8A
Last updated
14 Jun 2018 at 1:50PM