3A Built in 1900. This is the second locomotive to be built at the Victorian Railways Newport Workshops. Painted in the then standard Victorian Railways two-tone green, this locomotive was issued to the Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook line and was used on the line’s construction. Over the years, it saw service on the Colac to Crowes and Moe to Walhalla lines, but it saw more service on the Gembrook line than any other. It was withdrawn from service in 1955 at Upper Fern Tree Gully and sold in 1960 to the Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea where it remained on static display until obtained by the Puffing Billy Presservation Society in 1977. Number 3A Entered service 6th april 1900 Livery two-tone green Gauge 762mm / 2' 6" Service History : Apr 1900 UFTG. - initial allocation Apr 1900 - Jul 1901 Upper ferntree gully Feb 1902 - Jan 1906 Colac Feb 1906 - Jul 1906 Upper ferntree gully Sep 1907 - Mar 1908 Colac Oct 1908 - Oct 1909 Upper ferntree gully Nov 1909 - Apr 1910 Other Oct 1910 - Nov 1911 Upper ferntree gully Feb 1912 - Oct 1914 Colac Dec 1914 - Oct 1917 Moe Dec 1917 - Jul 1920 Colac Sep 1920 - Jun 1922 Moe Jul 1922 - Jun 1925 Upper ferntree gully Aug 1925 - Mar 1928 Other May 1928 - Nov 1929 Moe Jan 1930 - Apr 1935 Wangaratta Jun 1935 - Sep 1936 Workshops Oct 1936 - May 1949 Upper ferntree gully Nov 1949 - Mar 1950 Workshops Apr 1950 - Jun 1955 Upper ferntree gully Nov 1955 - Mar 1959 Workshops Nov 1960 - Aug 1973 Lord Mayor’s Camp at Portsea Apr 1977 - salvaged from Lord Mayors camp and delivered to Menzies creek station.
Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge NA class steam locomotive number 3A Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187 Dates that 3A worked on the Upper ferntree gully to Gembrook Line. Apr 1900 - initial allocation of a new locomotive Apr 1900 to Jul 1901 Feb 1906 to Jul 1906 Oct 1908 to Oct 1909 Oct 1910 to Nov 1911 Oct 1936 to May 1949 Apr 1950 to Jun 1955 Apr 1977 to Belgrave
Inscriptions & markings