Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool
This is a piece of cardboard torn in half but joined together with adhesive tape. The cardboard originally had a pink or white background but it is now very stained. The card has a red border with ornamental corners and a black and white photograph of a woman using a telephone and a young girl. The card also has dark blue printing. The card has had printing on the back but this is now covered over with a paper backing.
This advertising card comes from the Warrnambool business of Swintons Pty Ltd. William and Ann Swinton migrated to Australia in 1854 and for a decade William Swinton worked as a builder and carpenter in the Warrnambool area. In 1865 he opened a store in Timor Street, Warrnambool, selling groceries, hardware, glassware and china. By 1888 the business was known as William Swinton and Sons. Branch stores were opened in Cudgee, Nullawarre, Wangoom, West Warrnambool and South Warrnambool. After William Swinton died in 1901 his son Robert became the first managing director of Swintons Pty Ltd. In 1934 the business split with George Swinton and Sons selling furnishings, clothing and glassware and Swintons Pty Ltd selling seeds, produce and hardware. Today the Swinton family still operates a furniture and bedding store in Timor Street.
This card is of interest as it is a memento of the Warrnambool business of Swinton Pty Ltd. The current Swinton business in Timor Street is the oldest family business in Warrnambool and with the name Swinton associated with Timor Street businesses for over 150 years, it is amongst the oldest family businesses in Australia.
Inscriptions & Markings
‘Phone 36 With Compliments from Swinton’s Pty Ltd Universal Providers Timor Street Warrnambool’
‘Branches: Raglan Parade and at Cudgee’
‘Grocery Drapery Ironmongery Crockery’