Originally presented to the St Kilda 14ft Sailing Club in memory of Hon Life Member, Past Commodore Charles Marshall of the Royal St Kilda Yacht Club and long time President and Honorary Life Member of the 14ft Sailing Club. It was first won season 1954-1955 by Noel Brooke skippering the 14-footer dinghy Charles Marshall. On the disbanding of the Dinghy Club in 1966, the trophy was re-donated to the RMYS for competition in the Off-the–beach Heron Class, First won by A. Neale with Gypsy.
On the decline of the Heron class it was then re-allocated 1970-71 for the Gwen 12 Class to be first won by Geoffery and Phillip Hughes with Concorde II. Season 1975-76 it was allocated for a combined division event over three heats to be won by Hugh Kesterton with Cygnet. Later it was allocated for 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions aggregate over the Watts, Bennell and Dick Lean races based on the VYC handicap system. Again amended to be awarded for best result gained in the Bert Watts, Doc Bennell and Dick Lean events as a series.
Silver fully rigged racing sloop, mounted on shaped rectangular wooden base, 250 x 140mm, with silver shaped description plaques centred both sides. The whole is enclosed in a Glass case with silver winners inscription plaques attached around base of case.
Inscriptions & markings
ST KILDA 14FT SAILING CLUB
MR & MRS HUGH. S. HAWES.
ROYAL MELBOURNE YACHT SQ
FOR THE HERON CLASS
MR & MRS H. S. HAWES. 1966