The Ozone was built in 1886 in Scotland. She was commissioned by the Bay Excursion Company and serviced Port Philip Bay from 1886 with Melbourne to Queenscliff her first run. She was involved in a number of collisions and was withdrawn from service by 1918. She was purchased by Melbourne ship breaker J. Hill in 1925 and was scuttled later that year at Indented Head.
Souvenir life buoys were often made by the ships crew as an additional source of income.
The souvenir life buoy is likely to have been made during the service of the Ozone paddle steamer from 1886 to 1918. It may have been made by a former crew man. The buoy is significant for its connections to the former transporation of Victorians by sea.
A miniature souvenir life buoy, handmade and painted white. Cloth attached to make the stripes on the buoy and fastened by small tacs. Lettering is in red and gold paint. Decorated with painted anchors and flags.
Inscriptions & markings
"PS Ozone Melbourne"