The original small, pioneer cottage was built in the late 1840s to early1850s, by an unknown pioneer. It was located on part of a 30 Acre allotment that was originally part of Henry Dendy’s Special Survey granted in 1841. The doors and window sashes, (made of red deal joinery timber), as well as the brass locks and fittings, are from the original cottage, and were imported from England.The fire-place bricks are from the original cottage, and are sun-dried, (not kiln fired), and are hand-made. Convict marks can be seen on two bricks.There is a small display of external cladding shingles from the original pioneer cottage. These shingles were hand-split, and most likely made from locally collected timber The nails included in this display were used to fasten the shingles on the original cottage, and are also hand-made. The enamel nameplate, “Colonial”, on the wall of the cottage, was the name chosen for the original pioneer cottage when a later owner, Mr August Rietman and wife Frieda leased the property in around 1917. August purchased the property 1935 for 1200 Pounds approximately and resided there until 1953. In 1974 Mr Lewis, a timber specialist, found the dilapidated building on property he had recently purchased in Jasper Rd and suggested it be reconstructed and relocated. Moorabbin Council agreed and the Cottage was rebuilt just about 250 metres from its original site. The cost of the rebuild was met by 'Victoria's 150th Committee', plus a small grant from the City of Moorabbin, and Mr Laurie Lewis donated much of the timber for the reconstruction.
Theses 4 iron nails were hand made by an early settler c1850, using iron, forge and anvil, for the construction of the original Box Cottage
4 hand made iron nails c1850 used in building the original pioneer cottage now known as Box Cottage Museum