This cask bung came from the brewery of Sheldrick and Co. The New Brewery (Warrnambool), founded by Walter Sheldrick and Thomas Price as partners in a company, was situated at the corner of Timor and Fairy Streets. It was known as Sheldrick and Co. and operated from 1868 to 1922 with John McGee and Company running the business after 1894. In 1922 the business was sold to Ballarat, Melbourne Co-operative and Carlton and United Breweries. The casks, used for wine and spirits, were in 1892 cleaned by steam and a lifting device was used to transport the casks from the cellars to the delivery wagons.
This is a most significant item as one with a clear provenance and used in the brewery business of Sheldrick and Co., a major industry in Warrnambool in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It is an example of the equipment use in the brewery business more than a 100 years ago.
This is circular cask bung or stopper with the outer shell made of brass and the stopper insert made of wood. Both the brass and the wood are slightly worn.
Inscriptions & markings
Inscribed on the metal:‘Sheldrick & Co. Warrnambool’