Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty
12 small black and white photographs of Junction Dam, Bogong Village and surrounding area.
Junction Dam is a reinforced slab and buttress type construction and was commenced in February, 1940 by Lewis Construction Company. Stiff leg derricks were erected at appropriate locations at the site of the dam and used for the disposal of excavated material and the placing of concrete. A rock crushing and screening plant was established at a site a short distance upstream from the dam site and concrete was supplied from a central mixing plant placed close to the upstream toe of the structure. The SEC took over the construction in April 1942 and the dam wall was completed in March, 1944.
Bogong township was commenced in early 1940 with the construction of a workmen's camp housing 96 men, (known as Junction camp). Construction of housing for families commenced shortly after. Forty houses, plus office, workshops, stores and laboratory accommodation were completed over the next 5 years,
Of historical significance as a pictorial record of Junction Dam, Lake Guy and Bogong Village, as the photos were taken only 4 years after completion and one photo taken on completion of the dam wall but before the lake was filled with water.
Inscriptions & Markings
Photo 1 - On the back upper edge in pen 'Junction Dam'. Then '12' in pencil, circular stamp, printed in centre 'Print by Willson White Albury'.
Photo 2 - On the back upper edge in pen 'Junction Dam October 1948'. Stamp as no. 1 photo. Stamp '998L' lower centre.
Photo 3 - on the back upper edge in pen 'Junction Dam October 1948'. Circular stamp with 'Kodak Print' . Lower centre back is stamped 'velox' and '998L'.
Photo 4 - upper back, in ink - 'Junction Dam Spion Kopje in background. October 1948'. Stamps as photo no. 4.
Photo 5 - upper back, in ink - 'Lake Guy (orange filter) October 1948'. Centre back, in pencil '29' and circular stamp with words 'Print by Willson White Albury'.
Photo 6 - upper back edge 'Junction, Bogong from Radio Receiving Shack Dec. 1948'. In pencil '14'.
Photo 7 - On back of photo 'View of Mountains from Little Arthur Fire Track October 1948'. Two circular stamps with 'Kodak Print', another two stamps - 'Velox' and '998L'.
Photo 8 - On back in ink 'Loone's Store Bogong with Spion Kopje in background. October 1948'. Lower down, stamps 'Velox' and '998L'. Part of circular stamp with one word 'Kodak'.
Photo 9 - on back in ink 'Junction Camp, Bogong Village & Lake Guy from Little Arthur Fire Track. October 1948'. Stamped across writing '998L'. Lower down stamped 'Velox' and circular stamp with words 'Kodak Print'.
Photo 10 - on back in ink 'Junction Camp & Bogong Village Lake Guy in Foreground. October 1948'. Stamps as photo 9.
Photo 11 - on back in ink 'Junction Camp & Bogong Village, Lake Guy in Foreground. October 1948'. Lower stamp '998L'.
Photo 12 - 'Junction of Rocky & Pretty Rivers with tennis courts in foreground October 1948' . Circular stamp with words, 'Print by Willson White Albury'. Number '29' written pencil.