Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Petticoat

From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria

Description
Machine braid joined with hand ? or machine ? crochet chain joining (Lace Group Embroiderers Guild 1/3/12)
See photos (3)
Size
Length 88 cm circumference 86 cm. Circumference of cotton hem 152 cm
Object Registration
0087
Keywords
janet amess lace collection, lace, churchill island, janet, amess, petticoat, garment, clothing, machine, braid, crotchet
Historical information
The names of the Amess women who owned the lace are:
Jane Amess (nee Straughan) – donor Unity’s great grandmother (pet name Janet, but not used as it will confuse with Unity’s mother). Jane was the wife of Samuel Amess, first Samuel Amess to own Churchill Island.
Frances Amess (nee Turnbull) – grandmother, married Robert Lisle Straughan Amess, 4th child of Samuel and Jane
Janet Jickell (nee Amess) – mother, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis, married James Jickell
Unity Mary Bright (nee Jickell) was the donor, 2nd of two children of Robert and Francis.
Significance
The Amess family owned Churchill Island from 1872 to 1929. This lace collection was owned and contributed to by four generations of Amess women, see above.
Inscriptions & Markings
Packaged with note: "Wedding petticoat. Hand crocheted. Handmade button holes. Pure cotton. Machined waist band".
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM