From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- An English made “Busvine” black wool herringbone twill riding habit comprising jacket and safety skirt, (jodhpurs missing) from late 1800’s to early 1900’s.
The jacket features a black short pile silk velvet inset notched lapel collar secured with a single button at the apex of the waist and a single button near the collar for use in inclement weather. The sleeves join the bodice high on the shoulder with a full cut head to the sleeve and a tapered curved shape to the hand. The sleeve secures at the wrist with four black buttons. From the waist the jacket flares over the hip through princess line shaping and finishes with a curved front on either side. The seams of the shaping panels intersect single functional flapped besom pockets on either front panel.
The back of the jacket features a centre back seam and two princess-line shaping seams that finish in a double vent on either side of the centre back. The jacket length would have finished approximately just below the bottom of the wearer.
The apron fronted safety skirt secures from the waist at the front of the left thigh with five buttons. Over the wearers, right leg the skirt shapes to accommodate the rider’s right knee whilst sitting sidesaddle with her legs on the horses left flank. The base of the skirt has an elastic strap, which hooks around the rider’s leg to reduce the danger of the rider’s skirt become tangled, should the rider become un-seated. When the riders is not mounted the skirt can be secured with a button around the body to provide additional modesty as well as assist walking without the skirt dragging on the ground.
- barone, riding habit, j. busvine and co, seaview, brighton
- This item is from the "Barone" Collection. “Barone” was a stately Brighton home demolished in 1986. One of the former owners, presumably either Mrs Cora Doris Halkyard or Mrs B Brandt, donated the various goods in the “Barone” collection.
Owners of “Barone”
Circa 1840’s. Certainly built prior to 1859 – owners unknown.
1859 – 1872 Edward Elgin Browne (first Melboune tea merchant)
1872 – 1874 Ralph Gore Brien (Occupier 1873 The Reverand Henry G. Brien)
1874 – 1879 Edward (or Edmund) Johnson (possibly a retired military man.)
1880 – 1885 Archibald Black, formerly an Army captain from Scotland.
1886 – 1915 Isabella M. Black widow of above.
1916 – 1951 Amy Elsie (nee Black) Chalk
1951 – 1970 Cora Doris Halkyard, niece of the above and grand-daughter of Archibald and Isabella Black.
1970 – 1986 Mrs B Brandt – unconfirmed.
- Late 1800's to early 1900's
- J.Busvine and Co (Maker)
- “Barone” (previously “Seaview”) was one of Brighton’s finest colonial homes. It’s neighbors included “St Ninians” owned by the Ward- Cole family, “Seacombe” owned by the Moule family, and the home of James Grahame and his family.
- Jacket: Manufacturer's label “Busvine, By serial appointment to Her Majesty The Queen, 4 Brook Street W.”
Owner label “Doreen Wright” this label appears far more modern than the manufacturers label.
Skirt: Manufacture's label: “J. Busvine and Co, 4 Brook Street, London W." In handwriting “Miss Windfield”
Manufacturers label: Busvines Patent Safety Skirt, protected by two separate patents. 4 Brooks St London West.
- 20 Mar 2019 at 11:43PM