Jodhpurs - Jodphurs
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A pair of black wool twill women's jodhpurs from late 1800’s to early 1900’s.
The jodhpurs feature a flat flap-front that buttons on either hip with four buttons on either side. The cut of the leg is full tapering through shaped panels to a slim fit over the calf. At the centre front of the leg at the shin, the pant leg is laced closed and finished with brown binding. From the back, the pant hangs loose and full over the bottom, tapering to a slim fit over the calf.
Note: These jodhpurs are not a matching piece of the riding habit T0002.1. However, it appears that the same person wore them at the same time, as an outfit.
- barone, riding habit, seaview, jodhpurs, brighton
- This item is from the "Barone" Collection. “Barone” was a stately Brighton home demolished in 1986. One of the former owners, presumably either Mrs Cora Doris Halkyard or Mrs B Brandt, donated the various goods in the “Barone” collection.
Owners of “Barone”
Circa 1840’s. Certainly built prior to 1859 – owners unknown.
1859 – 1872 Edward Elgin Browne (first Melboune tea merchant)
1872 – 1874 Ralph Gore Brien (Occupier 1873 The Reverand Henry G. Brien)
1874 – 1879 Edward (or Edmund) Johnson (possibly a retired military man.)
1880 – 1885 Archibald Black, formerly an Army captain from Scotland.
1886 – 1915 Isabella M. Black widow of above.
1916 – 1951 Amy Elsie (nee Black) Chalk
1951 – 1970 Cora Doris Halkyard, niece of the above and grand-daughter of Archibald and Isabella Black.
1970 – 1986 Mrs B Brandt – unconfirmed.
- 1800 - 1900
- “Barone” (previously “Seaview”) was one of Brighton’s finest colonial homes. It’s neighbors included “St Ninians” owned by the Ward Cole family, “Seacombe” owned by the Moule family, and the home of James Grahame and his family.
- 20 Mar 2019 at 11:42PM