Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Shoes - Children's shoes

From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria

Leather, wood and metal ankle boots c.1860. Dark brown leather upper constructed of two pieces, the foot secures with a metal clasp at the centre front ankle. The upper is adhered to the wooden sole with metal nails. The sole of the forefoot has been reinforced with a metal horseshoe around the edge.
Object Registration
children's shoe, barone, seaview, brighton, 1860s
Historical information
This item is from the "Barone" Collection. “Barone” was a stately Brighton home demolished in 1986. One of the former owners, presumably either Mrs Cora Doris Halkyard or Mrs B Brandt, donated the various goods in the “Barone” collection.

Owners of “Barone”
Circa 1840’s. Certainly built prior to 1859 – owners unknown.
1859 – 1872 Edward Elgin Browne (first Melboune tea merchant)
1872 – 1874 Ralph Gore Brien (Occupier 1873 The Reverand Henry G. Brien)
1874 – 1879 Edward (or Edmund) Johnson (possibly a retired military man.)
1880 – 1885 Archibald Black, formerly an Army captain from Scotland.
1886 – 1915 Isabella M. Black widow of above.
1916 – 1951 Amy Elsie (nee Black) Chalk
1951 – 1970 Cora Doris Halkyard, niece of the above and grand-daughter of Archibald and Isabella Black.
1970 – 1986 Mrs B Brandt – unconfirmed.
When Made
circa 1860
“Barone” (previously “Seaview”) was one of Brighton’s finest colonial homes. It’s neighbors included “St Ninians” owned by the Ward Cole family, “Seacombe” owned by the Moule family, and the home of James Grahame and his family.
Inscriptions & Markings
On one shoe a modern inscription (ball point pen) : From "Barone" 9 Moule Ave Brighton. Sept 1970
On other shoe typewritten on paper: From "Barone", 9 Moule Ave., Brighton Pres. Aug 1970
Last updated
20 Mar 2019 at 11:46PM