Garters - Wedding garters
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A pale blue wedding garter featuring a pale pink bow and cream lace edging. Date unknown.
- wedding garter, cora doris wrigley, stanley halkyard, barone, seaview, brighton
- This item is from the "Barone" Collection. The garters come from the wedding trosseau of Cora Doris Halkyard, nee Wrigley, who married Arthur John Stanley Halkyard in 1912. The couple lived at Barone, a stately house at 9 Moule Avenue, from around 1951 until 1970. Barone was demolished in 1986.
Owners of “Barone”
Circa 1840’s. Certainly built prior to 1859 – owners unknown.
1859 – 1872 Edward Elgin Browne (first Melboune tea merchant)
1872 – 1874 Ralph Gore Brien (Occupier 1873 The Reverand Henry G. Brien)
1874 – 1879 Edward (or Edmund) Johnson (possibly a retired military man.)
1880 – 1885 Archibald Black, formerly an Army captain from Scotland.
1886 – 1915 Isabella M. Black widow of above.
1916 – 1951 Amy Elsie (nee Black) Chalk
1951 – 1970 Cora Doris Halkyard, niece of the above and grand-daughter of Archibald and Isabella Black. Described as the last owner of Barone on donation slip.
1970 – 1986 Mrs B Brandt – unconfirmed.
- circa 1910
- “Barone” (previously “Seaview”) was one of Brighton’s finest colonial homes. It’s neighbors included “St Ninians” owned by the Ward- Cole family, “Seacombe” owned by the Moule family, and the home of James Grahame and his family.
- 20 Mar 2019 at 11:58PM