From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A pair of ivory kid ladies' gloves secured at the wrist with a metal catch. Circa 1853
- kid gloves, barone, seaview, brighton, 1850s
- This item is from the "Barone" Collection. “Barone” was a stately Brighton home demolished in 1986. One of the former owners, presumably either Mrs Cora Doris Halkyard or Mrs B Brandt, donated the various goods in the “Barone” collection.
Owners of “Barone”
Circa 1840’s. Certainly built prior to 1859 – owners unknown.
1859 – 1872 Edward Elgin Browne (first Melboune tea merchant)
1872 – 1874 Ralph Gore Brien (Occupier 1873 The Reverand Henry G. Brien)
1874 – 1879 Edward (or Edmund) Johnson (possibly a retired military man.)
1880 – 1885 Archibald Black, formerly an Army captain from Scotland.
1886 – 1915 Isabella M. Black widow of above.
1916 – 1951 Amy Elsie (nee Black) Chalk
1951 – 1970 Cora Doris Halkyard, niece of the above and grand-daughter of Archibald and Isabella Black.
1970 – 1986 Mrs B Brandt – unconfirmed.
- circa 1853
- “Barone” (previously “Seaview”) was one of Brighton’s finest colonial homes. It’s neighbors included “St Ninians” owned by the Ward- Cole family, “Seacombe” owned by the Moule family, and the home of James Grahame and his family.
- Modern inscription on the inside of the glove states
“Barone”, worn at Hastings E (presumably England), 1853.
- last Thursday at 12:02AM