Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Homes, 1925

From the Collection of Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc. 16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria

Description
Two black and white images of Old Colonists' Association homes from a Special Christmas edition of the Courier in 1925.
The top image shows 'Clark Cottage', erected by S.W.J. Clark, and the lower image shows the 'Williams Cottage' erected by Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams. The cottages are locate in Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Object Registration
00001
Keywords
old colonists' association ballarat, old colonists' club, charles anderson grove, clark cottage, williams cottage, perry park, s.w.j. clark, f.j. williams
Historical information
The homes were presented by the donors for the use of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat. The homes fulfil the original 1888 aim of 'aid and assist indigent or suffering old colonists' and 'to provide the shelter of a home for old and indigent pioneers of the gold fields, their widows, or anyone connected with the association'.

From the minute books:
"Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams, both natives of Ballarat, offered to build a cottage on the Association's ground at PErry Park [now Charles Anderson Grove] something after a style of the Hassell Homes. That Offer was immediately followed by another from Mr S.W.J. Clark, a member of the Council. Both offers were promptly and gratefully accepted."

The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis.

One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs.

== Purposes ==

::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65.
::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness.
::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association.<ref>Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016
When Made
1925
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM