Historical information

Tawonga is in the Kiewa Valley where farmers lived with their families. The school was opened on 27th July 1880 situated on 8 acres near the current township of Tawonga. This school was erased by fire in 1900 and all records were destroyed. The school then moved to the old Tawonga Hall. In 1910 the school was shifted to its present site on 3 acres of land donated by Frank Cooper. The school building and attendance continued to grow especially during the construction of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme.

Significance

Historic: Tawonga Primary school has educated the local farming and town children for many years. It is an excellent source of the names of the local families in 1903. The photo is taken outside the Old Tawonga hall where the school was situated in 1903 and shows the clothing worn by children and teachers at the time.

Physical description

Teacher and 20 students in school photo.
"Tawonga Primary School 1903" added digitally when the photo was copied. There is a typed list of all names.

Inscriptions & markings

Names of students.
Back Row: Charlotte Cooper, John Cooper, Ada Cooper, Thomas Hollands, Irene Roper, Stewart Hollands, Lily Barnette. Teacher Donald Mc Cance.
Centre Row: Edward Trebilcock, Alfred Hollands, Pearl Barnette, Frank Cooper, Nellie Higginson, Bert Roper, Reg Roper.
Front Row: Ben Cooper, Raymond Cooper, Myrtle Barnette, Lewis Crotty, John Creamer, Annie Hollands