Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Souvenir Manicure Set - Maroondah Dam, Healesville Souvenir

From the Collection of Melbourne Water 990 La Trobe Street Docklands Victoria

Description
This rare pocket grooming kit features a scene of the Maroondah Outlet and Dam. The handle is manufactured from mother-of-pearl, encasing four steel utensils. The utensils contained inside the kit were used for filing and manicuring.
Size
L80mm x W25mm (closed)
Object Registration
mwh02086
Keywords
melbourne metropolitan board of works, mmbw, maroondah, dam, healesville, melbourne water, scenic view, souvenir, manicureset, historic, germany, rare
Historical information
The Maroondah System was first and foremost developed as a functional component of Melbourne's Water Supply System. In addition to functionality, the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) envisioned the Maroondah Reserve to be enjoyed aesthetically and recreationally by the public.

This souvenir illustrates the realisation of the Maroondah System as a local recreational and tourist attraction in the early 20th century. The Maroondah Reserve gardens were landscaped with English-style ornamental stonework, exotic trees, flower beds and rose gardens. All features of the water supply system became widely celebrated as beauty spots that continue to be very popular to this day with tourists and locals alike. This souvenir is a product of that flourishing tourist trade.

These water supply sites continue to enhance Melbourne’s charm and liveability and are now recognised as places of cultural and historic significance.
When Made
c.1940
Made By
ELOSI (Maker)
Significance
This souvenir item has been curated by Melbourne Water as it represents an important historical aspect of the organisation by demonstrating the popularity of its water asset sites as recreational places and tourist attractions, and although these sites are functional parts of the water supply system, they were also designed to be enjoyed by the public both aesthetically and recreationally.
Inscriptions & Markings
Engraved on the back of the last utensil is the manufacturer’s mark “ELOSI”. ELOSI is the acronym from Ernest Lohr and Otto Stiehl of Solingen, Germany. In 1935, this company was the first to manufacture thin plastic covers for low cost (5-25 cents). This is one of the most successful and profitable inventions in the history of cutlery and utensils.
Last updated
31 May 2018 at 4:44PM