Household - Demijohn Small
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a ceramic demijohn with a ceramic lid and a stopper (made of a rubber composite?) and a wicker covering. It has one handle. The ceramic lid is chipped. The woven material is slightly broken in parts
- W 21.5 cm (diameter of basket covering) H 25 cm. D cm.
- demijohn with wicker covering, warrnambool
- No specific information is available on this item. Demijohns were used for holding spirits and wicker coverings (usually woven osier or willow) were commonly used from the 1700s to the early 20th century.
- Early 20th century
- This item is of interest as an example of the containers used to store wine and spirits 100 years ago. Breweries and wine and spirits stores have been important businesses in Warrnambool in the past.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM