This is a document showing the state of the accounts in 1944-5 of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill, a significant commercial business in Warrnambool for several decades that was well-known nationally, particularly during World War Two. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill operated in South Warrnambool off McDonald Street from 1910 to 2001 and produced mainly woollen blankets and flannels. Some of the old Woollen Mill buildings today are heritage-listed. The item shows that there was a reduced turnover in 1944-5 because of fewer Government contracts but the company was still making a profit. The Federal Government was a major buyer of Warrnambool Woollen Mill products with the factory supplying blankets for the Armed Forces in World War Two.
This is an important document which forms part of a larger collection of Warrnambool Woollen Mill material in the archives of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill was a major industry in Warrnambool , employing at its peak several hundred people and it was a significant building in the city, with the social and economic ramifications connected to a major business in a regional centre. The document shows the state of the business during World War Two.
This is a document of 14 pages produced for the Warrnambool Woollen Mill Company Limited by Edward V. Nixon & Partners, Chartered Accountants, Melbourne, a Report and Comparative Accounts for the years ended 30th September 1944 and 30th September 1945. The cover is grey-coloured light cardboard bound with a paper adhesive. The report covers five pages and the financial statements nine pages. The material is typed.
Inscriptions & markings
The report is signed Edwin V. Nixon & Partners and the financial reports are initialled E.V.N. & P.