Jacket - Military jacket
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Brighton Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A red and green flocked cotton Military jacket believed to be British Navy from c.1807 - 1817. The jacket features a green high stand collar secured at the throat by three brass hook and eye closures. The red jacket bodice secures down the centre front with fourteen brass buttons and finishes approximately at the navel. The bottom line sits on the waistline at the sides and back, tapering lower to the naval at the centre front. The bottom line features two substantial brass hooks one on either side of the waist to secure the jacket to the pants. The shoulder line of the jacket is a neat tight fit on the true shoulder, with a slim fitting curved sleeve with gathered fullness at the shoulder. On each shoulder is a metallic corded epaulet with North Devon XI button and second button with floral motif. At the base of the sleeve is a green cuff like detail with a curved elongated point towards the elbow. At the base of each sleeve is a further two brass regiment buttons. The cream woolen jacket lining is lightly quilted over the breast.
- st ninians, george ward cole, c 1807 - 1817, brighton, north devon xi
- A Military jacket, possibly British Navy believed to have been worn by Captain George Ward Cole. George Ward Cole joined the British Navy in 1807, serving as a midshipman stationed in the West Indies until 1810 when he transferred to the Channel Squadron. In 1814 he was promoted to lieutenant and spent a year on the North American Coast in various amphibious operations including the destruction of Washington. After further service in the West Indies he was injured by gunfire losing hearing in his left ear and retired with honorable discharge in 1817 / 18.
- Early 19th century
- George Ward Cole was an early member of the Victorian Parliament and the family featured prominently in Melbourne Society in their time. They established a substantial home known as “St Ninians” at 10 Miller Street in 1841. The family reportedly entertained Melbourne’s first Royal visitor The Duke Of Edinburgh, Queen Victoria’s second son at St Ninians in 1867. In later years St Ninians was subsequently sub divided and later demolished.
- 2 Oct 2018 at 3:35PM