Ledger - Kiewa Valley Rifle Club
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Large yellowed alphabetical ledger covering the 1920's and 1930's with names, age, height, occupation and date of enrolment. There are not many entries
Inserted between pages are forms from the 'District Base Headquarters' with the headings filled out for - 'Name of New Member' and his 'Registration Number Allotted'
- 38 cmx 25.5 cm x 1 cm thick
- KVHS 0764
- rifle club. kiewa valley. ledger. community.
- The Kiewa Valley Rifle Club belonged to the Australian Rifle Clubs. They were in Military district No. 304 and operated as early as the 1920s. In 1876 an Australian Rifle Team, consisting of shooters from N.S.W. and Victoria, was the first team ever to officially represent Australia in any sport in international competition. In 1885 the first civilian Rifle Club was formed and after 1901 Rifle Clubs came under army control. In 1921, they were reconstituted as a purely civilian organisation where they have remained ever since.
- This ledger is evidence that the Kiewa Valley Rifle Club existed in the 1920's and 1930's, enabling its members to participate in a sport that had 12232 members and 313 Rifle Clubs in Victoria by 1939.
- 27 Jul 2017 at 8:45PM