"It has been decided by the managing body of St. John's Church of England to erect a war memorial to commemorate the thirty brave men of the congregation who have given their lives at the front, and the 98 men whom they expect to welcome home again. The memorial will cost from £250 to £300 to complete in its entirety, and active steps have been taken to raise the amount amongst the members and adherents of the church. ... The sanctuary panels will be placed on each side of the altar, and will become the permanent Honor Roll by having the names of the soldiers and nurses who enlisted from the congregation inscribed thereon.The whole scheme when completed will be a noble monument to the loyalty, response to duty, and self-sacrifice of the members of the church who enlisted, and will in years to come remind the worshippers of the response of the young members of the congregation to the call of our Empire in her great need. (Camperdown Chronicle, 20 March 1919)
Photograph of a timber World War One Honour Board at St John's Anglican Church, Colac. Plaster 'Station of the Cross' on either side of the honour board are by Mattei brothers.