Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sign - Puffing Billy Museum Entry Sign

From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria

Description
Puffing Billy Museum Entry Sign
Rectangular hand painted sign in use from 1970.
Size
Length Overall: 8' 1/16" ( 2440 mm ) Height: 4' 1/16" ( 1220 mm )
Object Registration
000100
Keywords
puffing billy, menzies creek, sir rohan delacombe, narrow gauge, steam
Historical information
The Museum was first considered in 1963 when it was felt that Victorian narrow gauge railway history was quickly being destroyed by progress.
Originally it was planned to only cater for two locomotives and some rolling stock associated with the Moe and Walhalla Railway.
Construction of the site commenced on Labour Day Weekend in March 1964, the area was then fenced. The first exhibit arrived soon after and companies with locomotives and other railway features offered items to the Museum. When interesting exhibits from the "Steam Era " were known to be coming available,discussions were held with the owners in an attempt to obtain the item for preservation.
In 1965 an Umbrella style shed was built and by May, the first locomotive ex Erica State Saw Mill (CLIMAX) had arrived.
The Museum was opened to the public in November 1970 but was officially opened by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria, Sir Rohan Delacombe on Saturday 7th April 1973.
Made By
Puffing Billy Railway (Maker)
Significance
Historic - Puffing Billy Museum Entry Sign
Inscriptions & Markings
Puffing Billy Museum
This is one of the Volunteer activities of
The Puffing Billy Preservation Society
Preserving part of our National Heritage
Proud to Help Preserve Australia's Heritage
Last updated
2 Jun 2018 at 7:39AM