Historical information

The Criterion Hotel was located on the western side of Kepler Street near the corner of Lava Street. John Tate of Woodford was the first licensee of the Criterion Hotel in 1873. The Humm family and the McGennan families were licensees for a considerable amount of time in the late 19th and 20th centuries. It was one of the last venues in the town to host live music. The last publican, John Palmer remembered it as a workers pub popular with local truckies and football clubs, in particular, Bushfield, Russell’s Creek and South Rovers. The Criterion closed in 2008 with the aim of turning it into office space but it was burnt beyond repair in 2010 and the remains were demolished in 2013.


The Criterion Hotel was one of the earliest and longest licensed hotels in Warrnambool. As such it has local historical significance. The original building was an impressive landmark and the hotel itself has significant social importance

Physical description

White plaster fragment with floral pattern enclosed within two plain borders. It is roughly five sided but edges are broken.