Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES
Four documents/photograph relating to Cr J O Edhouse and his wife Mrs Dorothy Edhouse. Also came with accompanying letter from Sylvia Woodhead.
361-01: An Invitation to a Dinner at the Isle of Wight Hotel - 26/11/1943 - on the occassion of the visit of Delegates to the Gippsland Shires and Boroughs Development Association Annual Conference.
361-03: Identity Card for Dorothy Symes Edhouse.
361-04: Circular from the Liquid Fuel Control Board dated 21st February 1942.
361-05: Photograph of James & Frances Edith Hill. A note saying that James (fondly called Jimmy) came to Phillip Island in 1920 and purchased a hotel - see history below.
Documents and Photograph donated by the Woodhead family. Dorothy Edhouse was the only child of James & Frances Hill, who were Sylvia Woodhead's grandparents.
"James Hill (Jimmy) came to Phillip Island in 1920 and purchased the Hotel, known as Woods Family Hotel. (Later, the Phillip Island Hotel in Walpole Street, now demolished). A milestone occurred whilst in his capable hands, when he installed an electric light plant, (32 volt), the first on the Island. He also made hundreds of cement bricks, when he built his own home. Later he purchased a building in Thompson Avenue, where he established a Billiard Saloon, with a small shop attached. He died in 1937, aged 68. His only child Dorothy Edhouse, is now 95 and has made arrangements to have her ashes added to her fathers' grave." This was added to the photograph of James Hill and Frances Edith Hill - not sure what date it was compiled by Richard Woodhead. Frances died in 1960. The write up was take from "Garden of Memories" by Edith Jeffrey.