Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. COWES, VICTORIA

Visit our historical museum featuring exhibitions on geology, maritime history, aboriginal culture, natural history, early settlers and Phillip Island's schools, cemetery and bridges. Changing displays. Videos of the history and wildlife of Phillip Island and district are also available for viewing. The society meets monthly at the Heritage Centre Cowes, from Feb to November at 2:30pm on the second Wednesday of the month. Visitors are welcome.

Links

Contact Information

location
Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue P O Box 816 Cowes Victoria 3922
phone
+61 +61 (0)3 5956 8501

Contact

Opening Hours

Thursdays: 10 am to 12 noon Saturdays: 10 am to 12 noon Tuesdays: (School holidays only): 10 am to 12 noon (Not open Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Good Friday and Anzac Day). Groups and schools by appointment.

Entry Fee

Adult admission by "gold coin" donation, children and students are free!

Location

Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

2983 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (1810) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

2983 items

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White copy of a postcard showing sheep grazing on pasture in Newhaven Phillip Island, with gentleman in the distance.

Historical information

One of 20 photographs/postcards donated by Mary Karney

Inscriptions & Markings

"The Rose Series P. 685" "A Pastoral, Newhaven, Phillip Island, Victoria"

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Close up of first decking in place - at full tide from Phillip Island side. Span projecting into air middle right with cranes at sea level middle right.

Historical information

Part of an album compiled and donated by Mrs Helen Jansson. Construction of second Phillip Island to San Remo Bridge 1968/69.

Inscriptions & Markings

John Squire Photography.

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White photograph of the Phillip Isand Municipal Brass Band - Cricket Team 1936. Back Row: L-R: P. Forrest, H. De La Haye, R. Jenner, N. Sykes, F. Towns. Middle Row: L-R: B. West, N. Cleeland, J. Gliddon, J. McLardy, J. Bryce. Front Row: L-R: A. Towns, R. De La Haye.

Historical information

One of a collection of photographs donated by Bernie De La Haye.

Book - Navigation and nautical astronomy, the practical part, containing rules for finding the latitude and longitude, and the variation of the compass, with numerous examples

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed 'Jno. Cleeland, Melbourne'. Labelled 'Phillip Island Historical Society, Cleeland Bequest'. Pencilled drawing inside back cover, 'hope' & 'anchor'.

Postcard

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Aerial Postcard with scalloped edges showing two Bridges - taken from Newhaven.

Historical information

Part of a collection presented and donated by Mrs Helen Jansson. Commercially produced Postcard of first and second Phillip Island Bridges to San Remo.

Photograph - Swimming Baths, Cowes

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White Postcard. View of Swimming Baths, Cowes. showing old Jetty shed.

Historical information

Part of a collection of Rose & Valentine Postcards. Copied by John Jansson 1984

Inscriptions & Markings

The Baths - Cowes

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White photograph of J & S West Cowes General Store and Post Office. Men, women and children outside with bullock team on far right.

Historical information

One of 17 photographs donated by Olive Blamey

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Phillip Island Suspension Bridge.

Historical information

Phillip Island Suspension Bridge - 1st road connection between Phillip Island and the mainland at San Remo 1938. Part of an album compiled and donated by Mrs Helen Jansson.

Inscriptions & Markings

Descriptive caption adjoining this photo print, also the previous one.

Photograph - Speke Hall

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Large photo of Speke Hall

Historical information

The ship Speke, which was wrecked in 1906 near Kitty Miller Bay, was named after the town Speke in Liverpool, where Speke Hall is located. Source http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/place/speke-hall Speke Hall This half-timbered Tudor courtyard house acquired its present shape during the 16th century under the ownership of Sir William Norris and his grandson, also Sir William. It was completed, except for some minor additions, for Edward Norris by 1606. The predominant architectural message of Speke is the decorative potential of wood. The exterior, with its high proportion of timber to infill, is a riot of geometrical patterning, while many of the Tudor interiors are filled with carved and embellished panelling – including a genealogical overmantel from c.1560 – some probably imported from the Low Countries, where the Norrises had trading connections. After a period of neglect, Speke was restored and entirely refurnished in the mid-19th century by the Watt family.

Inscriptions & Markings

Speke Hall, Gardens and Estate

Documents

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Documents relating to the sale of land Lot 34, P/s 13650. Part C/A 6 in Ventnor. Includes Transfer of Land, Receipts for purchase, Rate Notice and Notice to Destroy Noxious Weeds.

Historical information

Documentation donated by Rob & Kathy Huddle, Glen Isla Motel, Church Street, Cowes Phillip Island

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Sepia photograph of a horse and handler.

Historical information

One of 8 photographs donated by Joseph White

Book - desert hath pearls

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photographs

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

A selection of hand coloured photographs of Phillip Island. Following description as on the photographs. 344-01: Pyramid Rock, Phillip Island. No. 5. 344-02: Penguin Beach, Summerlands, Phillip Island No. 3. 344-03: The 'Killara' at the pier, Cowes. No. 10 (shows Cowes Pier with shed and Killara Ferry.) 344-04: Boat arriving at Cowes. No. 9. (shows the Killara near the pier full of people.) 344-05: The beach, Cowes No. 8. (beachgoers on the Cowes west beach enjoying the sun - many sitting under beach umbrellas.) 344-06: The Nobbies showing Seal Rocks, Phillip Island. No. 4. (Coastal scene at The Nobbies with Seal Rocks in the distance.) 344-07: Penguins, Phillip Island No. 11. (Penguins arriving on the beach at dusk after a day out fishing.) 344-08: Rocks at Cape Woolamai, Phillip Island. No. 7. 344-09: The Pier, Cowes. No. 1. (Photo taken from the end of the Cowes Pier looking towards Cowes Township. Jetty shed and Isle of Wight Hotel in the background.) 344-10: The Pier & War Memorial, Cowes. No. 12. (Taken looking from The Esplanade to the War Memorial and Cowes Pier. People and boats at the Pier.) 344-11: Seals at Phillip Island. No. 6. (Seals are on Seal Rocks out from The Nobbies.)

Historical information

A selection of photographs sold to tourists.

Inscriptions & Markings

As above.

Photograph - S S Genista at Rhyll

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

B&W postcard. View of Rhyll Pier and SS Genista approx 1900

Historical information

Part of a collection of 'Rose & Valentine' series of Post Cards. Copied by John Jansson 1984

Inscriptions & Markings

S.S.Genista calling at Rhyll

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of Rowing Boat moving among Seals near rocks. Two Crew - one rowing, one standing.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Photograph - The Chimneys, Cape Woolamai

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black and white postcard.View of Cape Woolamai showing some of the many rock formations

Historical information

Part of a collection of 'Rose & Valentine' series of Post Cards. Copied by John Jansson 1984

Inscriptions & Markings

"The Chimneys" Cape Wollomai, Phillip Island, Victoria. The Rose Series P.10494

Photograph - Post Card - S S Genista at Newhaven

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

A large black & white photo of a postcard of the S S Genista at the Newhaven Pier with a small yacht and people on pier.

Historical information

The Genista moved from NSW to serve Western Port from 1889-1932

Inscriptions & Markings

Phillip Island "S. S. Genista" calling at Newhaven

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Sepia photograph of Will Walton holding a horse named Charlie, Henry Nicholas Walton and Will Kennon (Snr) in front of building, probably blacksmiths.

Historical information

Photograph belonged to the Walton family.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back: Will Walton (holding Charlie the horse) with his father Henry Nicholas Walton and family friend Will Kennon (senior) Photo taken 1903.

Newspaper Clipping

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Article reporting a threat by Cr Kevin Shaw to resign from Phillip Island Shire Council because of obstruction to his ideas.

Historical information

Newspaper clippings 1968

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of The "Speke" taken days after the wreck

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Book - Phillip Island Fire Brigade

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Rose Series (P.658) The Pier Cowes. Phillip Island

Historical information

Photograph of early Cowes Pier

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Two Black & White Photographs. Driving off the Punt at Newhaven, Phillip Island - prior to 1938.

Photograph - Post Card

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White postcard showing San Remo from Newhaven.

Historical information

One of a group of photographs from the Bryant West Collection donated by Mary Karney.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front: San Remo from Newhaven 249. On back: A birthday greeting from Ada Brown to Miss Robb.

Book - antiquary

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Labelled: Cowes Free Public Library. Phillip Island Historical Society. Cleeland Bequest.

Book - Old England : a pictorial museum of regal, ecclesiastical, municipal, baronial, and popular antiquities

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Labelled 'Cowes Free Public Library', 'Phillip Island Historical Society, Cleeland Bequest'.

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

The Pier, San Remo

Historical information

View of San Remo and the Pier taken from Westernport Bay entrance. "U" shaped pier, busy with fishing vessels, a large shed on the connecting Jetty to beach and the frame of a new building. Beyond is the Pier Hotel, more buildings to the extending left. behind the coastal trees to back of photo is a tree lined bare hill.

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of Jetty Shed situated at the entrance to the Cowes pier - note curved roof.

Historical information

When the only link to the mainland was by sea, the Cowes Jetty Shed - built in 1870 - was used to store incoming goods to Phillip Island. The Shed is one of the oldest buildings on Phillip Island and one of the few with the distinctive curved roof. The Shed was restored in 1992. Built by the Ports & Harbors Dept.

Kerosene lamp

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

White glass base with brass burner and wick with clear glass chimney.

Newspaper clippings

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

First petroleum venture in Western Port Bay. Description of the floating station, Vincas and history from 1930's. Photo of Vincas. and the Nina Barthem transferring petrol to Vincas.

Historical information

Collection of newspaper clippings in scrap book dated 1960 - 1973

Inscriptions & Markings

"This floating station started it all".

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of five polished surfaces of Amygdales from Pyramid Rock. Enlarged by four times.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Framed Life Saving Certificate

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Framed, printed Certificate of Meter, in black lettering with hand written name and particulars of recipient. A gilded matt is surrounded by an ornate wood and gesso frame which is in poor condition. On the back the paper has disintegrated. The Certificate is paper, mounted on cloth, mounted on stretcher. Remains of framer's label, also Phillip Island label stuck on back. Certificate is from Royal Humane Society of Australasia.

Historical information

This was given to William James Kennon. He was attempting to take assistance to a wrecked barque at Cape Patterson on April 25th, 1901. The ship was the barque "Artisan".

Inscriptions & Markings

(Hand written in copperplate, in black ink) ......11th Day of July 1901:...... William James Kennon of Cowes, a blacksmith, aged 21 years, in attempting to take assistance to the crew of the wrecked barque "Artisan" at Cape Paterson, on the 23rd April 1901................? Hamilton (Sec) ..........? (Pres.)...............

Photograph - Post Card - Newhaven postcard

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Coloured postcard showing coastline, bay, jetty and buildings at Newhaven. Looking towards San Remo

Historical information

Postcard from Lizzie to Mrs Harry West " Moncrieff Bank", Cowes. 'Wishing you all A happy and Prosperous New Year 1910. Your loving cousin, Lizzie'

Inscriptions & Markings

Phillip Island Newhaven, San Remo in the distance. Greetings from Cowes written in gold glitter

Newspaper clippings

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Article on row over man made beach at Phillip Island

Historical information

Article on dispute over man made beach at Phillip Island made by Mr Len Lukey. Includes photograph of the beach in question.

Book - Light and life : a history of the Anglican church in Gippsland, 1845-1977

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Donated to Phillip island Historical Society by ... Stewart, 27/6/07

Newspaper clippings

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Article on provision of more Sanctuaries for the Koalas on Phillip Island.

Historical information

Article in The Herald newspaper

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of Charles McGregor.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Scene showing Shetland Ponies on the Smalls' property at Shetland Heights.

Historical information

This Photograph was donated by Jessie Smith to Stanley Joseph McFee.

Photograph - Post Card

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White postcard of the Isle of Wight Hotel in Cowes Phillip Island

Historical information

One of a collection of 8 photographs donated by Bob Notley of San Remo

Inscriptions & Markings

On front: Hislop Series No. 3. Isle of wight Hotel, Cowes. On back: A Real Photograph Produced in Australia.

Newspaper clippings

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Newspaper article concerning the grave of Captain Grossard at Ventnor; desecration; fence to be built; landscape works; proposed ceremony November 1968 to coincide with "Back to Phillip Island".

Historical information

Collection of newspaper clippers in scrap book dated 1960 - 1973

Inscriptions & Markings

"A grave desecrated"

Photographs

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Six coloured photographs of Trenavin Park, Ventnor, Phillip Island. 81-90: Front view of Trenavin Park 81-90a: Back view of Trenavin Park 81-90b: Interior of Trenavin Park showing stairs 81-90c: Interior of Trenavin Park showing lounge and dining areas 81-90d: Interior of Trenavin Park showing games room with billiard table 81-90e: The Furnery

Historical information

Trenavin Park was built by Mr Sambell on a site just above the original site of the McHaffie homestead. Was owned by Mr & Mrs Oswin (70's)

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of a map of Phillip Island in the making and showing fourteen separate Islands before natural processes joined them.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Book - Five to a feast

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Labelled 'Himmer Bequest'. Stamped 'Cowes Public Library'

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Black & White photograph of the S.S.Plover Ferry.

Historical information

One of 6 photographs donated by Z. Cox

Inscriptions & Markings

On Back: S. S. Plover 1925

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of the start of the 1936 Senior T. T. Motor Cycle Race.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Photograph of the ship "Victoria" which surveyed Western Post in 1865. The first Victorian Man-o-War.

Historical information

One of a collection of over 400 photographs in an album commenced in 1960 and presented to the Phillip Island & Westernport Historical Society by the Shire of Phillip Island

Book - Contact : an Australian history

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped 'Phillip Island & District Historical Society'. Includes index.

Photographs - Isle of Wight Hotel Fire 2010

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

10 coloured photographs of the Isle of Wight Hotel Fire on the 22nd May 2010. Varying views of the hotel from the front, side and back. Photograph 267-06 is of a painting found on inside of wall - behind original bar in main bar. Painted on Mortar.

Historical information

The first Isle of Wight Hotel was built in c 1870. It burnt down in 1925 and was rebuilt. The hotel was sold and was to be demolished for a new hotel to be built on the site, however before this could take place it burnt down again on the 22nd May, 2010. The site is still vacant (1/9/2016). Photographs donated by Lisa Schonborg.

Photograph

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Sepia photograph of San Remo - Westernport Hotel on the right hand side with several vehicles and people in the foreground.

Historical information

One of a collection of photographs donated by Bruce Bennett.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back: "WP Hotel - San Remo - milkbar (and what looks like - rooms at back where Mannix boarded ????) I. Mannix collection"

Book - Noctes ambrosianae

Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc., COWES

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped 'Phillip Island & District Historical Society'.