Granite Quarry opened at Cape Woolamai in 1891 by Chambers & Clutten of Melbourne, to supply stone for the facing of equitable buildings, Collins Street, Melbourne. Trolleys on rails brought stones to ship's side at low tide where a jib crane lifted them into the ship's hold. With high tide the ship was refloated.
Granite Quarries Cape Woolamai on waters edge. A Cape Woolamai ancient crane in action. Very rocky point. Quarry attracted a community of 300 people.
Inscriptions & markings
Granite Quarries Woolamai