On 29 November 1940, a suspension bridge opened between San Remo on the mainland and with Newhaven on Phillip Island. The 540 metre bridge had two lanes but no footpaths, instead having six pedestrian refuges. The main span was 168 metres long. The cables had previously been used on a bridge on Sydney's North Shore. Because of weight restrictions, tourist coaches had to offload their passengers. [Wikipedia]
Foolscap size photocopy of a petition to Shire of Phillip Island for a bridge to Phillip Island in 1937. Signed by 42 local residents and ratepayers.
first phillip island bridge to san remo, phillip island suspension bridge, petition, odlum, ockleford, regos, mcguigan, west, mcfee, richardson, underdown, mcmaster, cleeland, neely, leeson, saunders, scott, brown, hislop, donnellan, rackham, findlay, anderson