Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Aircraft, B-24 Liberator

From the Collection of B-24 Liberator Memorial Restoration Australia Inc Corner Farm Rd & Princes Highway Werribee Victoria

Description
This restored Liberator aircraft was assembled from parts salvaged from B-24M models, manufactured during the 1940s in the USA. Made from aluminium, the plane is 68 feet long, with a wingspan of 110 feet, and is metallic silver with a distinctive blue and white target design on each side. The aircraft is powered by four wing-mounted engines, and is fitted with 10 heavy machine guns.
Size
5.49 m (height) x 20.73 m (length) x 33.53 m (width)
Links
Object Registration
00101
Keywords
aircraft, liberator, bomber, wwii
Historical information
This particular aircraft was modified with a search radar in the lower fuselage to help locate and track targets and was then redesignated as a B-24R model. The RAAF took A72-176 on charge in late 1944 and this saw it issued to 7 OTU (Operational Training Unit) based at Tocumwal, south west NSW. The training saw bomber crews learn how to fly the bomber, operate as a team and work with fighters. Towards the end of the war there were up to 50 aircraft located at Tocumwal along with 5000 personnel. A72-176 was noted as flown on training missions by various aircrew.
When Made
c. 1940
Made By
Consolidated Aircraft Corporation (Maker)
Significance
This aircraft is one of the only remaining B-24 bombers in the southern hemisphere and 1 of only 8 remaining B-24 airframes still existing in the world, out of the nearly 19,000 which were originally built. The restoration honours the contribution of one of the RAAF’s main bombers of the WWII era.
Inscriptions & Markings
Registration number on side of fuselage at rear of plane: 'A72-176'
Inscription on side of fuselage at front of plane: 'ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE / US ARMY B24-10 CO / AIR FORCES SERIAL NUMBER 44-41956'
Last updated
4 Jan 2018 at 4:35PM