In 1881 Cyrus Bath Retallack purchased land now known as 1200 Mair Street Ballarat. Retallack was a successful Cornish miner and engineer. He built a two storey brick mansion between 1882 and 1883, naming the property ‘Carn Brae’ after the castle in Cornwall. Substantial grounds were established with with range of exotic trees planted, a tennis court was laid out and a stables building was erected. In 1918 the site become a campus of Queen’s GIrls’ Grammar School, then Aquinas College which was merged into the Australian Catholic University from 1973.
Photograph of a double storey brick building on bluestone foundations, with cast iron balcony.