Mrs George Rolfe was the wife of the owner of Lyndoch. He was a Melbourne tea merchant, who owned 216 acres of the Shipley estate further up the Hopkins River. In the late 1870s he bought 2 acres of land and house along the Hopkins near the bridge and developed into Lyndoch. By 1883 he increased to 50 acres. He resoiled the land, put in a water supply reservoir, water tanks and pumps, a reticulation system and a windmill- 50 feet high with four sails 18 feet high and 4 1/2 wide. George Rolfe died in 1919 and the present Lyndoch House was built in 1925. Source: By These We Flourish, A History of Warrnambool by C.E. Sayers and P.L. Yule Edition 1
A4 landscape black and white photograph of a mens rowing four on the Hopkins River, Warrnambool.
Inscriptions & markings
The Final for Mrs Rolfe's Trophy
Presented by Mrs George Rolfe by W.R.C.