Gunto (military sword)
From the Collection of Geelong RSL Sub Branch 50 Barwon Heads Road Belmont Victoria
- 2 x Gunto Japanese Swords, both swords have a curved steel blade, one sword has a metal scabbard, one has a leather scabbard.
One sword has a brown tassle indicating the rank of sergeant and three cherry blossoms on the grip, one has three cherry blossoms on the grip however the tassle is missing.
- The steel scabbard sword is 97.5 cm long and the scabbard is 73.7 cm long. The 2nd sword is 99 cm long and the scabbard is 71.7 cm.
- japanese, sword, non-commissioned officers
- The shin gunto was used by non-commissioned officers the design resembled the officer's shin gunto but were a cheaper quality.
- Circa 1935.
- These swords are originals of their time and would have belonged to non-commissioned officers.
- The blade of the sword with the metal scabbard has the number - 101657.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM