This tie pin has as its centerpiece a souvenir medal from the Warrnambool Industrial and Art Exhibition of 1896-7. This exhibition was held in the Town Hall and Council Buildings and the Mechanics’ Institute and temporary buildings at the corner of Liebig and Timor Streets, Warrnambool. It was held over three months and attracted many visitors and featured concerts, sports events, industrial exhibits and a variety of competitions.
This is an interesting and important item. It is one of the more unusual mementoes from the Warrnambool Industrial and Art Exhibition and shows the use made of souvenirs from exhibitions around the world. This tiepin was purchased in an antique shop in England in the 20th century.
This is a metal tie pin with three circular coins, soldered together at the edges. In the middle is a souvenir medal of the Warrnambool Industrial and Art Exhibition of 1896-7 showing an image of the Exhibition buildings at the corner of Timor and Liebig Streets on one side and a Coat of Arms on the other side. The two smaller coins on each side are imitation British half crowns. The clip at the back is soldered on to the two smaller coins
Inscriptions & markings
Medal: Industrial Exhibition, Warrnambool 1896