Originally known as Caulfield Shire Hall, the original 1884 building was designed by Shire surveyor Sydney Smith. In 1931 the Caulfield Town Hall, as it was then known, was remodelled to include the main hall and foyer and a Neo-Grecian portico with Corinthian Order columns. Major works completed since 1945 include Caulfield Arts Complex (opened 20 August 1988), Caulfield Library (opened 4 December 1993) and the award-winning Caulfield Municipal Offices extension which opened on 24 February 1991.
The building is listed as No. H0106 in the GECC Heritage Overlay Schedule. The site also includes a Significant Tree (H&H Register No. 034).
Brick exterior of two storey building painted white and featuring pillared portico entrance and solid glass doors on Glen Eira road facing north. On the eastern side of the portico is a two storey clock tower with clock surmounted by a flagpole and flag. Some of the eastern section of the building is original with various alterations over the years. The award winning service centre and offices in the westerly aspect of the town hall were extended on to the original buliding in 2000.