Historical information

This is No.1 the first Newsletter produced by CMHS members in August 1961. Topics : October 1960 Mayor Cr. D.H. Clark called a meeting in the Moorabbin Town Hall to form the City of Moorabbin Historical Society. Local residents attended including descendants of early settler families - Coates, LePage, Shipston - and a Committee was elected. Mr T.A.Sheehy, President, Mr R.Colbourne, Secretary, Mrs F.Wright, Treasurer set the Annual Membership Fee at 5/- ( shillings), arranged the next meetings at the Moorabbin Town Hall and began to compile a Newsletter to tell the ' story of Moorabbin'. The Cheltenham & District Society Co-operative Limited (est.1896) sponsored this 1st CMHS Newsletter published August 1961. The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is the 1st Newsletter of CMHS in August 1961 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Physical description

Foolscap paper printed on 1 side.

Inscriptions & markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL / SOCIETY / NEWSLETTER No 1 / AUGUST 1961