The Battery Paddock ran along Albert Street near the intersection of Grant Street, and was alongside the Ballarat School of Mines battery, or model mine.
The Ballarat Junior Technical School was a division of the Ballarat School of Mines. It was established in 1913 at Dana Street Primary School with Albert Steane as Principal. In 1926 a custom built school in the grounds of the Ballarat School of Mines was opened. Today that building houses Prospects Training Restaurant.
A number of students of the Ballarat Junior Technical School play cricket on the Battery Paddock of the Ballarat School of Mines. In the background the walls of the gaols are evident, as is the Ballarat Junior Technical School building which was built in 1926.