Coat Hanger - Cramond & Dickson Folding
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- Folding coathanger with metal frame covered in brown paper with black cotton tape.
- 20.5 each side 3.5 cm wide.
- John Glass Cramond 1829 and James Dickson 1831-1910 were founders of a large drapery store. Both were Scots and both came separately to Australia in 1852.
Cramond initially came for gold but soon opened a store in St Kilda with a post Office attached and he was the first post master there. Dickson was a farmer’s son but became a draper and while he was unsuccessful on the Bendigo diggings and then returned to Melbourne where he met Cramond and soon after they opened a store on Lonsdale Street. They opened their business in Warrnambool in 1855 as a general store with groceries, drapery and ironmongery. Both partners were involved with the community and James Dickson was an original director of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill 1909 and the Warrnambool Cheese and butter factory. He also served on the committee of management of Warrnambool Base Hospital.
This coathanger would have been used in their store.
- An everyday item linked to one of Warrnambool’s earliest and longest running businesses.
- Cramond & Dickson Warrnambool stamped on the cotton tape.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM