Historical information

W J Taggart was a tailor who operated from Fairy Street at the time near Russell’s and Powell’s. This is near The Caledonian Hotel and in the current RSPCA shop. They had moved to this shop around 1884. A notice in the local paper in 1922 states that he was re- opening his business in the same premises.

Significance

Provides a link to one of Warrnambool’s 19th Century businesses.

Physical description

Wooden hangers with rounded corners and metal hooks. Printed names engraved and painted in black with business name.

Inscriptions & markings

W J Taggart Tailor and Outfitter Warrnambool
W H Taggart Tailor and outfitter Warrnambool. Both made in America