John Glass Cramond 1829 and James Dickson 1831-1910 were founders of a large drapery store. Both were Scots and both came separately to Australia in 1852. Cramond initially came for gold but soon opened a store in St Kilda with a post Office attached and he was the first post master there. Dickson was a farmer’s son but became a draper and while he was unsuccessful on the Bendigo diggings and then returned to Melbourne where he met Cramond and soon after they opened a store on Lonsdale Street. They opened their business in Warrnambool in 1855 as a general store with groceries, drapery and ironmongery. Both partners were involved with the community and James Dickson was an original director of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill 1909 and the Warrnambool Cheese and butter factory. He also served on the committee of management of Warrnambool Base Hospital. These labels would have been used to sew to garments sold by Cramond & Dickson.
A common item for many decades with which many people would identify.
Eleven cloth name tag labels. White cotton fabric. Some are embroidered in navy blue and others in red.
Inscriptions & markings
Those embroidered in red state Cramond & Dickson Warrnambool and the ones embroidered in navy blue state Cramond & Dickson Warrnambool & London.