Historical information

This is one of the two Wiseman brothers' homes built in Widford Street in 1887. They were named Ashleigh and Sawbridgeworth and were similar. When the Wisemans became bankrupt, with the collapse of the land boom in the 1890s, the houses remained in the estate and were tenanted. At the close of the first world war, both were taken over by the Army as hospitals. This photo is of Ashleigh which became Infectious Diseases Hospital No. 5. Sawbridgeworth was the staff hospital. The photo was taken in 1919. This house was later bought by Thomas Shaw Logan, the well-known auctioneer. On his death, the house was demolished and the property subdivided. The other house, Sawbridgeworth, was bought by the MIssion of St James and St John and then became St. Agnes Girls Home from 1925 until 1963. It was then bought by St. Matthews and is now known as Wiseman House.

Physical description

Black and white photograph (2 copies) of house with hospital flag and people outside.