Stories Organisations Projects Login

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive Glenroy, Victoria

St Matthew’s Church of England Glenroy has a history dating from 1908 and includes the heritage house Sawbridgeworth, built in 1887, now called Wiseman House. Both properties are located at 32 Widford Street Glenroy. Wiseman House is used by St. Matthews for community events and activities, and parts of the house are leased, contributing income to the parish. The Archives are located at the Church.

Links

Contact Information

location
cnr Widford Street & Melbourne Ave Glenroy Victoria
phone
+61 03 93069528
Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Entry Fee

Nil

Location

cnr Widford Street & Melbourne Ave Glenroy Victoria

The archives include early photographs of Wiseman House (formerly Sawbridgeworth) and significant events in St. Matthew's Church history. There are also two printed research publications available.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

14 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (14) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (4)
View As Grid List

14 items

Photograph - St Agnes Girls Home, Lambie Cottage

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

A b&w photograph of large room with single beds lined up along each wall, bathroom at the end of the room, timber floor.

Historical information

Lambie Cottage was an addition to St. Agnes Girls' Home, providing more modern accommodation.

Significance

Development of St Agnes Girls' Home to accommodate additional children in a more modern setting.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Photograph - Sawbridgeworth 32 Widford Street Glenroy

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Black and white photograph of Sawbridgeworth

Historical information

Sawbridgeworth, 32 Widford Street Glenroy, was built in 1887 by Arthur Wiseman to help promote the sale of land in Glenroy. It was St. Agnes Church of England Girls Home 1922 to 1964. Now called 'Wiseman House' it has been part of the property of St. Matthew's Anglican Church since 1965.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Photograph - Sawbridgeworth c.1895

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Copy image of house with entry path and garden.

Historical information

Sawbridgeworth c.1895

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Photograph - Wiseman House 1920s

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Black and white copy photograph

Historical information

Sawbridgeworth (now known as Wiseman House) was built in 1887 by Arthur Wiseman.

Photograph - St. Agnes Girls' Home dining room

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Girls seated at long tables in a large room having a meal. An adult woman sits at the head of each table.

Historical information

St. Agnes Girls' Home was based at "Sawbridgeworth" from 1923 to 1965.

Significance

A rare photograph showing daily use of the building by residents.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Booklet - Wiseman House (Sawbridgeworth) A Brief History

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Printed booklet produced by Bev Lacock and Ian Keeble in May 2003, revised in June 2008.

Historical information

Origins and history of this heritage house and of the Wiseman family who were the builders and owners. Subsequent use of the building is also included.

Photograph - Ashleigh, with Sawbridgeworth in the background

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

B&W copy photograph of Ashleigh, with Sawbridgeworth in the background.

Historical information

B&W photograph of Ashleigh, with Sawbridgeworth in the background. The two Wiseman homes "Ashleigh" (Albert Wiseman) and "Sawbridgeworth" (Arthur Wiseman) were used as Army hospitals during World War 1. The houses were built in 1887 and were mirror images of each other.

Photograph of dance card - Sawbridgeworth, Glenroy, 22nd April, 1892

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

B&W photograph of front cover and inside page with list of dances.

Historical information

Issued for a ball that would have been held in the ballroom at Sawbridgeworth.

Photograph - St. Matthew's Amateur Dramatic Society

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

B&W photograph from the play "Quiet Weekend" dated 25 August 1956. Actors are May Sommers, Bert Housden, Don Barrett and Nance Downs.

Photograph - Sawbridgeworth c.1895

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Black & white photograph of front facade of Sawbridgeworth House with people in a horse and buggy.

Historical information

Sawbridgeworth was built in 1887 by Arthur Wiseman. The house was named after the little English village in Hertfordshire where the Wisemans had lived for hundreds of years. Arthur's brother, Albert, built his mansion, called Ashleigh, which also fronted Widford Street. Wiseman House is located alongside St. Matthew's Anglican Church.

Significance

Wiseman House is an important building in Glenroy's and St. Matthew's history.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Booklet - The History of St. Matthew's Church of England Glenroy 1908-1965

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

A5 printed booklet of 26 pages, written by Bert Housden

Historical information

The history of St. Matthews Church until 1965.

Photograph - Girls of St. Agnes Girls Home

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Sepia coloured photograph of girls in uniform, younger ones sitting at the front and older girls standing. Positioned in a garden setting.

Historical information

Refer to booklet "Wiseman House (Sawbridgeworth)" (Item 0004) for further information on St. Agnes Girls Home. Includes letters and memoirs by residents of St. Agnes Girls Home.

Significance

Portrays a significant period of use for Sawbridgeworth/Wiseman House as a girls' home.

Inscriptions & Markings

Copied with permission

Photograph - St. Matthew's Amateur Dramatic Society

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

B&W photograph from play "Who Lies there" dated 23 June 1956. Actors are Gordon Downs, Inez Rayner, Norm Richie, Barbara Barrett, Jacqui Sommers, Don Barrett, Nance Downs, May Sommers, Bert Housden and Louise Rendle.

Photograph - Ashleigh as an army hospital

St Matthews/Wiseman House Archive, Glenroy

Black and white photograph (2 copies) of house with hospital flag and people outside.

Historical information

This is one of the two Wiseman brothers' homes built in Widford Street in 1887. They were named Ashleigh and Sawbridgeworth and were similar. When the Wisemans became bankrupt, with the collapse of the land boom in the 1890s, the houses remained in the estate and were tenanted. At the close of the first world war, both were taken over by the Army as hospitals. This photo is of Ashleigh which became Infectious Diseases Hospital No. 5. Sawbridgeworth was the staff hospital. The photo was taken in 1919. This house was later bought by Thomas Shaw Logan, the well-known auctioneer. On his death, the house was demolished and the property subdivided. The other house, Sawbridgeworth, was bought by the MIssion of St James and St John and then became St. Agnes Girls Home from 1925 until 1963. It was then bought by St. Matthews and is now known as Wiseman House.