One of a collection of 18 photographs and postcards donated by Jill Yeoman
Black & White photograph of the Southcoast Phillip Island - near Summerland
Inscriptions & markings
Cowes Feb 1939
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc.
One of a collection of 18 photographs and postcards donated by Jill Yeoman
Black & White photograph of the Southcoast Phillip Island - near Summerland
Cowes Feb 1939
Detailed information on people buried in cemetery from 1901-1920
Large soft covered book with text numerous black & white and coloured illustrations
phillip island cemetery, rev. alexander robb, richardson, walton, grayden, forrest, leeson, lock, mcfee, george smith, west, cleeland, eliza cochlan, findlay, jenner, mckindlay, jeury, walpole, george cox, pamela rothfield
Stories of the first 73 occupants of the Phillip Island Cemetery describing the lives and history of the early residents of Phillip Island. Written by a Cleeland descendant, Pamela Rothfield.
Large, soft covered book with large black and white and coloured photos and text.
phillip island cemetery, genealogy, forrest, jenner, richardson, cleeland, dixon, mcgregor, reid, walton, west, cox, underdown, mcillwraith, woolcock
This cannon was always called the Shenandoah cannon as it was believed to be from the Confederate warship, Shenandoah. However recent research has shown this was not true. In 1981 the American Civil War Round Table of Australia claimed the cannon was not government issue.It was older than the Shenandoah warship.It is possibly a 4 lb that was sent from Sydney in 1826 when Western Port was settled and had been left behind.
3 small coloured photographs mounted on cardboard of Churchill Island homestead, 2 men standing beside the cannon and the cannon.
Churchill Island homestead, Shenandoah cannon, S.J.McFee, F. Jansson, Shenandoah cannon. 1973
churchill island, churchill island - homestead, cannon, stan mcfee, frank jansson
The Eagle Star left from Stony Point to take in Tankerton on the way to Cowes. It carried about 160 passengers of all ages, many of whom were probably planning to celebrate New Year’s Eve or start their holidays on the Island. The 48-year-old ferry had only recently been bought by a co-operative of French Island residents. Fortunately no one was drowned, and only two people were hurt.
Broadsheet front page from The Herald Saturday, December 30 1978.Headline is "Ferry sinks."Fleet" plucks 160 from bay" Large black and white photo showing half submerged ferry and three smaller motor boats pulling people from the water. other people are standing on the front of the ferry.
Headline is "Ferry sinks."Fleet" plucks 160 from bay"
ferries, eagle star, transport, cowes yacht club
Harry Bradley was a local Identity. Born in Yorkshire, England, 8/4/1916. Joined the Australian Army 19/5/1941 living in Cowes Phillip Island Victoria.
491-01: Harry Bradley an Australia Army Portrait - WWII 491-02: Harry Bradley & Ted Walton, very close fishing mates 491-03: Original House of Bradleys, opposite Race Track?? Ford Vehicle. Now Beachcomber Estate 491-04: Harry Bradley working on the 1st Phillip Island Bridge 491-05: Harry Bradley's parents - Father - Edwin and Mother who was killed by a bull 491-06: Harry Bradley - Equal 1st Competition at the Lang Lang Gun Club 491-07: Elsford Guest House - Post Card 491-08: Map of Phillip Island - Post Card Also DVD supplied with 491-01 to 06 on it.
As Above with Harry's details listed on 491-01
harry bradley, ted walton, edwin bradley, lang lang gun club, elsford guest house, phillip island map
Photos from various sources added to an album on the Boy's home
3 black and white photographs of buildings and interior of chapel
86-15 has Photo Shop Series Chapel st Paul's Newhaven Phillip Island. 86-16 has in handwriting St Paul's Church of England Boy's Home Newhaven Cowes 6/3/47.on back is written -' We were taken over this.Part in photo is chapel, everything in chapel was made by boys. building at right dormatories."
newhaven boy's home phillip island, photographs
Penguin Parade - "Fairy" Penguins Certificate to indicate "A Lifelong Friend of the Penguins"
Certificate for "Friends of the Penguins"
certificate, friends of the penguins, phillip island
Superintendant - William Henry Baye - accused of cruelty to 10 year old Rex Simpson, student at the Newhaven Seaside Gardens Home for Boys, resulting in his death.
1003-01 Copy of Pakenham-Berwick Gazette newspaper article about the death of two boys at Newhaven Seaside Garden Home. 1003-02 A flyer for the screening of the film "The Killings at Newhaven" written & directed by Joe Fairhurst 1003-03 Photo of the Plaque on Rex Ronnie Simpson and his mother Myrtle Ruby Laurel Simpson's grave at Fawkner Memorial Park 1003-04 Photo of the Grave Stone of Rex Simpson and Myrtle Simpson at Fawkner Memorial Park
newhaven seaside gardens home for boys, rex 'ronnie' simpson, william henry baye, 1930's, joe fairhurt journalist
Cherry McFee was secretary of the Historical Society and is standing in front of the Chicory Display in the Museum
Photo of Cherry McFee holding a Wooden Chicory Scoop in front of the Chicory Display in the museum approx year 2015
chicory scoop, chicory display
Early attempts to have a water supply connected to Cowes. It includes figures on tourism, valuations of local properties, local primary produce and what water they require.
Foolscap size carbon copy of typed letter. 7pages
The Honourable The Minister for Water Supply. Suggested motions to be put to the meeting of ratepayers, 13 May 1936
water supply, shire of phillip island, agriculture, isle of wight, anderson property, valuations, charmadene, bonnie doon guest house, population, tourism, primary produce, d h robb, r a grayden, h v johnston, j thornborrow, e r scott
Anderson and McHaffie were prominent early settlers of Phillip Island. These documents were from the estate of Stan Mcfee snr. Listings of auctions at Gemmell, Tuckett & Co., Collins Street, Melbourne 12 February, 1869
Copy of map showing allotments for 1869 land sale and hand written note showing allotments, area, prices for purchases of Robert Anderson and notes on McHaffie land.
robert anderson, glen isla, john mchaffie, maps, land sales
Badges issued by the Shire of Phillip Island prior to 1994
2 Circular Cloth Badges for Shire of Phillip Island - 1 printed and the other embroidered
Shire of Phillip Island. Map of Phillip Island, Penguin, Banksia & Eucalypt leaves.
shire of phillip island
Tortoise Shell Spectacle Case with oval gold label and push button opening.
This illustrates the early attempts to have a water supply connected to Cowes. Shows figures on local properties and what is required for water supply. Also the history of local guesthouses.
Foolscap carbon copy of letter to the Minister of Water Supply. Seven pages of typewritten letter.
water supply, shire of phillip island island, agriculture, population, cowes, isle of wight hotel, bonnie doon guest house, d.h.robb, r.a. grayden, h.v. johnston, j. thornborrow, charmandene guesthouse, mrs a. anderson
J D McHaffie, Phillip Island's first leaseholder, relate how McHaffie set up his headquarters (and later built his house) alongside what is now known as McHaffies lagoon. The McHaffie brothers – John David and William – occupied Phillip Island under a license from the Admiralty in 1842 and farmed it as a sheep run.
3 A4 photocopies showing application for lease in 1850, size and description of the land and instructions for the application.
w.j.mchaffie, land grant, farming, saltwater creek, crown land
The annual Christmas dinner for the Society was held in the Anglican church hall.
Large coloured photo of members of the Phillip Island and District Historical Society at St Philip's Church of England Hall, Cowes.
Names of those attending are on a seperate media item
pidhs, phillip island historical society, cherry mcfee, john jansson, christine grayden, gaye cleeland, meg & alec davis, una lyons, julie box, judy gittus, jan andrews, patsy hunt, maurice schinkel, alice robinson, kevin findlay, marion wood, bruce proctor, graeme clausen, pam rothfield, ray jansson, judy lawrence, beverley forrest, neil robinson, maggie robinson, elaine findlay, peter brookes, cheryl overton, bill overton, john eddy, pat taylor
Flag waved by school children at opening of Phillip Island Bridge
Red cloth flag with Union jack in left corner and southern cross. On thin wooden stick
Phillip Island bridge 1940
flag, opening of phillip island bridge 1940
Tropicana motel, Osborne Ave, Cowes.
Large black and white photograph of group of men and women, front row seated.
Historical Society at the Tropicana
phillip island historical society, cherry mcfee, stan harris, audrey mcfee, audrey nicol, ivy cleeland, mrs helen jansson
Describes life on the Island in the 1930s, including farming, schooling , ww2, bridge, picture theatre, guesthouses and shops.
5 A4 typed sheets of notes on speech given by Bob Grayden to PIDHS in 1998
Growing up on Phillip Island
bob grayden, farming, chicory, motor car racing, cowes state school, hector goodall, first phillip island bridge to san remo, picture theatre, davidson family, shops at cowes phillip island, thompson avenue cowes, the esplanade cowes, guesthouses, roadmaking, john grayden & sons, w f evans quarries ventnor
Eric Juckert He worked as a potter and painter from around 1949 to 1992 in Victoria. His pottery was also sold by the department stores Myer and David Jones under the trade name “Jacqueline”.He then set up a studio at Point Road, Grossard Point, Ventnor on Phillip Island, in 1959 where he continued working there until 1992. Henning Alfred Rathjen (1903–1968) was one of the Australian-born artists who established a new pottery studio to cater for local demand and post-war innovations in art pottery. Rathjen established his pottery studio in Melbourne in 1948, producing quality slip-cast wares over the next 20 years.
Cream, rough surfaced vase with oval pinched top and daisies in relief around top by Eric Juckert. Small, cream rough surfaced vase with top that flares outward with leaves and cutout sections by Henning Rathjen.
Eric Juckert, Rathjen,
pottery, vases, eric juckert, henning rathjen
Lucy was Kevin Wagner's paternal grandmother. Trip was from Cowes to Seal Rocks.
Black & white photo of elderly lady sitting on boat at pier with a man in hat nearby. Sails furled and sea in distance. Also an A4 photocopy of the photo.
Hollydene Billy Kennon [ owner boat] 47-48. Lucy Constance Wagner, Kevie's mother
hollydene ferry, lucy wagner, ferries
Two typed letters on cream writing paper and copy paper. One from Superintendent of Postal Services to K.Ewert, M.P. and one from Shire Secretary to P M G Department re urgent need for a new post office. Also envelope with letter.
post office, postal services
Previous post office was in Thompson Ave on corner of The Esplanade, where the Isola Di Capri now stands.
Quarto size page folded in half with blue typing. Outlines procedures of opening, history of the Cowes Post Office and figures on postal articles and services eg wireless licences and pensions. Cover has signatures of dignitaries eg R. Lindsay M.P., H. Quinn
Official Opening of the New Post Office, Cowes by R.W. Lindsay, Esq., M.P..
post office cowes phillip island, mr h.quinn postmaster
Broadbent's was the official guide of the Government Tourist Bureau. Mr Roy Bain owned a secondhand shop on corner of Thompson Ave and Chapel Street, Cowes, currently a Japanese restaurant.
Small orange, black and red booklet with black type containing maps and information of accommodation, businesses and tourist venues.
Broadbent's Official Road Guide Phillip Island and Gippsland South and Central. Broadbent's Year of Issue 45.
guesthouses, broadbent's guides, hislop newsagency, underdown strawberry farm, osterlund fishing trips, parry's butcher, athenia cafe, roy bain, broadway bakery, cowes camping ground, cowes main garage, beach park camp
The Cowes Power station was in Cowes west, corner of Chapel Street and Osborne Avenue. James Norman Day was in charge c. 1935.
Photocopy of letter from Mr & Mrs Ronald Day, Mermaid Beach, Queensland, sent to the Electrical Engineer, Cowes Council, 1995. and reply to sender. Also copy of photo of equipment in power station.
Mr and Mrs Ronald Ernest Day
power station, electricity, james norman day
Robert Anderson was one of the earliest settlers of Phillip Island. He built Glen Isla house in 1887 and travelled to Melbourne by ferry for his plumbing business. The family tree 1023-01 may have a mistake in that Annie Grant was his 2nd wife, not Bessy Flemming.
Hand drawn family tree on tracing paper and 4 photocopied pages of printed family tree
Robert Anderson and his wife migrated from Scotland in 1856 and moved down to Phillip Island about 1870-1871. Descendants of Anderson, Robert Coxon Date 22 March 03
robert coxson anderson, glen isla, anderson family, mary sharp, genealogy
4 A4 photocopies of black & white photos. A large bus on a punt with a person onboard. A small boat with 2 men towing the punt. Land in the background. Wooden building with a group of 6 people standing outside, one looking through telescope.with sloping roof and sign Ye Olde Tea House. Set on barren headland, sea in background with 2 small outbuildngs and a car parked beside building. Other photos show group of cars parked near the same building or on barren headland.
A bus Dick Grayden built to transport his large family about 1928. Punt crossing from Newhaven to San Remo. Original tea house at Nobbies. 1929
phillip island punt, richard grayden, the nobbies kiosk, point grant, motor car
The theatre, set up in the old shire hall, was run by Bill Schooling and Connie Maugham. A World War 1 veteran, Charlie Croft, was the doorman. The films came down by ferry for Saturday nights, or Bill Schooling collected them in his car, which ran on kerosene. In the summertime, there were also screenings on Wednesdays and Fridays. Screenings started with a newsreel; then a travelogue was shown; another support film would be fitted in before interval, then another newsreel, a cartoon, and finally the feature film hit the screen. This occurred during WW2 - 1939-1945
Handwritten letter written on 26/2/1993 from Kevin Findlay describing his employment history and association with the theatre and a photocopy of 2 tickets for the Teddy Bear Theatre.
kevin findlay, teddy bear theatre, bill schooling, connie maugham, charlie croft
J.Kennon & Sons were known particularly for their use of the chrome tanning process. They were also buyers and exporters of Australian skins and wool.The firm had tanning works,, established in 1863, offices and stores in the vicinity of River Street, Richmond and a leather warehouse in Bridge Road. [ Source -Heritage Victoria https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiI7OnmofT_AhUia2wGHXNGCaUQFnoECBQQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.heritage.vic.gov.au%2Fattachment%2F24257&usg=AOvVaw0ER8QGZ-3eW4PAg0VM909h&opi=89978449]
Cream coloured account with details eg product and amount in black ink. Includes a separate piece of paper attached to page, with a recipe for vermin destroyer typed in red ink.
Credit account of N. L. Smith, Rhyll, Phillip Island. One bag of Rabbit Weevily. March 23, 1914 J. Kennon & Sons River Street, Richmond
n.l.smith rhyll, j.kennon and sons, rabbit poison, account, vermin
Two typed pages discussing 'Who was San Remo', naming and early settlement.
Who was San Remo?
jack vorwerg, san remo, griffith's point, bergin family
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.