The making of cordials and aerated waters was an important industry in Warrnambool from the time of the first settlement up to the 1980s. John Fletcher succeeded John Davis in Koroit Street in 1885 and manufactured aerated waters, soda, lithia, tonic waters, lemonade, ginger ale, hop beer, hop bitters, sarsparilla and cordials. He installed many improvements around the late 1880's including an improved soda water machine which was also used for bottling lemonade, ginger ale and syphons. He sold to Ralph Reeves in 1930 and the business continued until the 1980's under the name of Reeves. The premises in Koroit St were auctioned in 1989.
Warrnambool cordial bottles are of considerable significance as examples of an important local industry now gone. The Fletcher business was a well-known business in Warrnambool for 45 years.
Round bottle with raised lettering in glass and indented sections on top section of bottle with marble enclosed. Clear greenish glass.
Inscriptions & markings
J Fletcher’s Aerated waters Koroit Street Warrnambool vertically on bottle with lemonade horizontally on the other side. M on bottom of bottle.